Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » What do people on the east coast call the kind of highway that people in the central USA call an expressway?

What do people on the east coast call the kind of highway that people in the central USA call an expressway?

This question was inspired by a discussion on another post about turnpikes and thruways.  

On the east coast people call freeways expressways, but in the central USA freeways and expressways are two different things.  In the middle of the country, a freeway is a highway that has at least four lanes, has a grassy area or wall in the center and has only exit and entrance ramps and bridges.

An expressway is a highway that has at least four lanes, has a grassy area or wall in the center, but it has regular intersections at some junctions, traffic lights spaced far apart and bridges with exit and entrance ramps at some other junctions.  So, what do people on the east coast call that kind of highway?

Posted - September 4, 2021

Responses

Grrrrrrr.

September 6, 2021 5:14 PM MDT

You just reminded me of something.

I had a co-worker who was born and raised in Mexico and came to the US in his teens, that’s when he began learning English, so even though he’s fluent, he still has somewhat of a thick accent. He always refers to “shoes” as “choose”. (By coincidence, he also served in the US Marine Corps just like I did.)
    ~

September 6, 2021 5:20 PM MDT

Cute! 

This begs a question: Do oral errors of grammar and mispronunciation bother you as much as written ones? 

:)
      September 8, 2021 8:33 PM MDT

Oh yes, very much so. The two go hand-in-hand. Heck, I don’t even like it when people merely think something in grammatically incorrect ways. Grrrrrrr.

~

September 8, 2021 10:51 PM MDT

I know, right?
      September 6, 2021 3:11 PM MDT

September 6, 2021 5:26 PM MDT