Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Have you noticed this place is really slow tonight? I re-booted my computer and no change.

Have you noticed this place is really slow tonight? I re-booted my computer and no change.

Posted - September 11, 2021

Responses

This is the first time I was able to access the question section in over 8 hours.  "Page not found"
      September 11, 2021 10:13 PM MDT

Similar for me, too.
      September 12, 2021 2:36 AM MDT

By coincidence, we “cut the cable” at about 10:30 this morning (it’s about 10:15 pm now), in addition to television service, our cable provider company also handled our landline telephone service and our internet connection. We had the television and telephone disconnected and stayed with the internet connection. It took them about 60 seconds to make the television and telephone go away. I haven’t been home a lot since approximately 1 pm, but when I was here, there was no noticeable change in internet service. I returned home at about 8 pm, and also had no noticeable change in internet connection.

Now, however, about 20 minutes before reading this question, AnswerMug intermittently waned, making me wonder if the cable company was already beginning its vendetta of revenge for the minuscule loss of profit that they’ll undergo by forfeiting my multi-hundreds of greenbacks monthly. With the advent of my nemesis and eternal archenemy Element 99, aka The Professor, aka Ellipses Man, aka The Toledo Terror having posted this seemingly innocent query, I guess I’m expected to believe that he has absolutely nothing to do with my connection faltering. I’m sure the cable company has contacted him or he has contacted the cable company, and the conspiracy to topple me is well on its way through its infancy.  The appearance of Shuhak as the first one to respond here is also suspect, I just haven’t ascertained which of them is truly the ringleader and which is henchman, or sidekick, or minion, or second in command, or wingman, or shotgun rider, or whatever moniker or title they’ve decided to use. 

Grrrrrrr.

smiley-yell.gif

~

September 11, 2021 11:14 PM MDT

A cable company taking revenge?   Why, they would never even think of such a thing.  They are so sweet and nice, always looking out for each and every customer, as a mother would with her child.  (or so they want us to believe).
    They don't worry themselves over the loss of 1 customer.  They make up any "loss" by raising the rates and  lower the service for the suckers they still hold by the throat.  (*cough* (Xfinity) *cough*)
      September 12, 2021 11:50 AM MDT

Wow, thanks for all of those compliments. Toledo Terror...I like that.
      September 12, 2021 12:50 PM MDT

Sarcasm.  
      September 12, 2021 9:12 PM MDT

No, I believe he truly means it.
    ~

September 12, 2021 9:38 PM MDT

I meant that I was being sarcastic.  (thus a period and not a question mark after the word)
      September 13, 2021 11:49 AM MDT

September 12, 2021 9:38 PM MDT

I just asked the same question.
    I'm glad I'm not alone.

It takes me a couple of minutes for every step, including even arriving at the site.

I posted my question right away once I got on the site. Then I saw your question.

I have to go to work now - - but, again -- I'm glad you posted your question.  :)
      September 12, 2021 2:35 AM MDT

Something just isn't right.  :  I
      September 13, 2021 4:21 AM MDT

Is it possible the site is usually super-fast, so that when for a while it ran at a normal speed, people thought it was running "slow"?

Normally, a greyhound powers the site running inside a wheel. Just for a short while it was "swapped-out" for a toy-poodle (while the greyhound was given "maintenance" - dog biscuits?); people will often complain about anything!

EDIT:

For others with slow Internet connection on their PC (my experience is with PC and Windows), they can try:
    Checking with their ISP.
    Another thing to try is to reposition the router.
    To remove power from the router for at least 30 seconds, which forces a reset (I suggest warning any others using it, beforehand!). [By the way, when I refer to at least 30 seconds I really mean it - this is important and one should consider timing that! This is because if not all power is completely removed, the settings will not be reset.]

To the PC:
    Adding more RAM.
    Stopping unnecessary non-security applications from loading with Windows (change the option for each application in question by accessing that application's "Preferences" or item similarly-worded, and then looking for an option worded something like: "load with Windows").
    Avoid having more than one antivirus, or more than one firewall, loaded (in memory) at the same time.
    Carry out a virus scan.
    Use "MalwareBytes Anti-malware" to scan for malware (it scans for malware not typically covered by virus scans).
    Use "Ccleaner", configuring it to clear: "Temp" files, "Temporary Internet Files", and old "Cookies".
    Carry out a Defrag to bring together files on the hard disk so system files load more efficiently.

This post was edited by my2cents at September 13, 2021 6:50 AM MDT
      September 13, 2021 5:08 AM MDT

No. One thing AM isn't burdened with is speed.
      September 13, 2021 5:12 AM MDT

Do you know if anyone has messaged JA about the lag on the queations page?
      September 13, 2021 6:51 AM MDT

I don't.
      September 13, 2021 7:44 AM MDT

I have sent two messages on Feeback.  Apparently, no one gives a darn.
      September 13, 2021 8:20 AM MDT

JA does have a life besides this.
      September 13, 2021 8:34 AM MDT

I'm sure she does, but she's the one who started this site.  I would think it would be in her interest to take care of it.
      September 13, 2021 9:36 AM MDT

I have sent two messages on Feeback.  Apparently, no one gives a darn.

And, wouldn't that be the moderator's job?
      September 13, 2021 8:21 AM MDT

No it is not the Mods job.  I have nothing to do with the inner workings of the site. 

JA is busy lately (we all have lifes outside of this place). But I will be happy to message her as well. 
      September 13, 2021 9:32 AM MDT

Got it - she's too busy to take care of her site.  No problem.
      September 13, 2021 9:33 AM MDT

Wow....
      September 13, 2021 9:51 AM MDT

(we all have lifes lives outside of this place)

September 13, 2021 10:21 AM MDT

When all our other sites are working properly but this one, it isn't our PCs, Bob - it's the site.
      September 13, 2021 8:19 AM MDT