Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What was something you absolutely had to repeat* two or more times even though you really didn’t want to?

What was something you absolutely had to repeat* two or more times even though you really didn’t want to?

[Any connotation of the word repeat, for example, not just having to repeat saying something.
~]

Posted - October 5, 2021

Responses

Baptism.

When I was growing up, my family changed churches numerous times.
    Every time, I had to be re-baptized and attend "orientation" classes on the tenants of the new church.  Which were generally the same as the old church.

I guess the Bible left out that you have to be baptized into every sect.
      October 5, 2021 8:50 AM MDT

Actually you don't, unless you were first baptised as an infant (many denominations won't acknowledge that, requiring a personal confession of faith rather than godparents' proxy). Even then, twice is quite enough.
    Nicene Creed: " We acknowledge ONE baptism for the forgiveness of sin".
      October 6, 2021 2:53 AM MDT

I was being sarcastic, with that last sentence.
    Every one of those churches SAID you had to be baptized.  But what they MEANT was "we have to see you being baptized".
    They could take it on faith that there was a god ... but couldn't accept that someone was baptized at another church.
      October 6, 2021 7:52 AM MDT

My better half had to produce her baptismal certificate (from the Churches of Christ) before a Catholic priest would marry us. Would that have sufficed?
      October 6, 2021 8:52 PM MDT

Don't know ... I never received a certificate.

But they never asked for one, either.

October 7, 2021 6:55 AM MDT

A family member had a gunshot wound some years back.  It was very hard for me to do, but I had to change the dressing each day.  It involved stuffing saturated strips of gauze into the hole.  I remember praying to stay conscious, myself.   
      October 5, 2021 4:01 PM MDT

Moving house. I did attempt home ownership once, but had to sell up when my back collapsed. I couldn't keep up with the mortgage repayments on disability.
      October 6, 2021 2:58 AM MDT

[~]

October 7, 2021 6:57 AM MDT