Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Do you attend church or bible studies on a regular basis?

Do you attend church or bible studies on a regular basis?

Posted - October 13, 2021

Responses

Kind of I go to the Rastafarian church dance whenever they have one. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at October 13, 2021 9:08 PM MDT
      October 13, 2021 6:27 PM MDT

Thank you.
      October 13, 2021 6:35 PM MDT

I'm Jewish. We don't do church.
      October 13, 2021 6:58 PM MDT

No! I'll never set foot in a church ever again.
      October 13, 2021 7:12 PM MDT

• Why not?
      October 15, 2021 1:46 PM MDT

Church yes. I no longer do organised Bible study, I generally know more about it than the facilitator and too often disagree with a dogmatic interpretation of the text (my degree is in theology).
      October 13, 2021 9:04 PM MDT

Before covid hit I wet to church every Sunday.  I eagerly look forward to going again once things have settled down.
      October 13, 2021 9:04 PM MDT

No.
      October 13, 2021 9:08 PM MDT

No.  I'm Jewish so I don't attend church services.  Frankly, I don't attend synagogue either unless it's for a wedding, bar/bat mitzvah or funeral.
      October 13, 2021 9:41 PM MDT

No
      October 14, 2021 4:59 PM MDT

• I haven't belonged to a church in a long time...over 20 years.  I was thinking of going again but then Covid-19 arrived.
      October 15, 2021 1:48 PM MDT

Good excuse. And winter is almost here. Another excuse.
      October 15, 2021 2:32 PM MDT

Nope.
    Grew up attending multiple churches and studying the Bible from different teachers.
    I came to the conclusion that organized religion is designed to control the uneducated masses, while convincing them to pay for it.
      October 15, 2021 2:09 PM MDT

“Church” is the translation of the Greek term ekklesia, and is used in the New Testament to identify the community of believers in Jesus Christ. It literally means “assembly,” “congregation,” or “meeting.” A similar term was used in the Old Testament referring to experiences such as “the day of the assembly,” “the Lord’s congregation,” or “meeting before the Lord.”

Thus, when Jesus declares: “I will build my church” (Mt 16:18), it did not come as something unfamiliar to the common listener. Shortly after, in the New Testament, the word is confined strictly to refer to the congregation of believers in Jesus Christ.

It's worth mentioning that in the New Testament, no synagogue, temple, chapel, tabernacle, building, or any other meeting place was ever called a “church.” The term always referred to the Christian assembly and, in the New Testament, it was used for both the local community of believers and the overall collection of Christians.

The church that we see in the New Testament is dynamic. Never a prisoner of buildings, we see the church meeting in the temple, in a synagogue, in the street, beside the sea, in public places, and often in homes. Acts describe a community of faith in constant movement:

“Every day they devoted themselves to meeting together in the temple and broke bread from house to house. They ate their food with joyful and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. Every day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved” (Ac 2:46-47).

All that being said and to answer your question, I used to attend church services and join Bible studies. I stopped attending "church" because it lost its Biblical roots and became man-centered organized religion instead of remaining a Christ-centered body of born-again believers.

November 18, 2021 8:45 AM MST