Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » If you were a congressperson, how would you vote on this?

If you were a congressperson, how would you vote on this?

Minnesota’s Congressional delegation on Monday is introducing a resolution to posthumously award the Congressional Gold Medal to pop superstar Prince, citing his “indelible mark on Minnesota and American culture.” 

The medal is one of the nation’s highest civilian honors and past recipients include George Washington, the Wright Brothers, Rosa Parks, Mother Teresa, the Navajo Code Talkers, the Tuskegee Airmen and the Dalai Lama.  To which one of the persons above-named would you equate Prince?

I suppose congress doesn't have anything important on which to focus their attention.

Posted - October 25, 2021

Responses

None of the above. I'm also wondering how the US could confer such honours on non-American folks such as the Dalai Lama and Mother Teresa (she never even visited the US), and whether they care. The only meaningful way to honor those would be to leverage China to grant autonomy to Tibet (not happening, despite that territory not having any material use to the PRC), and massive humanitarian aid to the slums of Kolkata (similarly unlikely).
      October 25, 2021 3:51 PM MDT

Other countries award non-citizens awards of honor for their service in that country's interest.  I don't have any objection to all the others, but I certainly can't see them honoring Prince with such a meaningful award.  In my opinion, doing that diminishes the honor to those who received it before him who actually did something more important than entertain folks with their music.  If you want to add a music category, how about honoring Elvis Presley - at least he served in the Army.  You can't hand out this medal like candies. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at October 26, 2021 9:51 AM MDT
      October 25, 2021 9:41 PM MDT

Of course. So do we - IF they have made a significant contribution to Australian society. St Teresa of Kolkata made major contributions to Indian society, in particular the poor of that city and especially those of the Untouchable caste - but did she do anything in or for the US?
      October 26, 2021 4:44 PM MDT

I'm not sure what, if anything, she did for the US, but at least she dedicated her life to helping poor people around the globe.  
      October 26, 2021 4:58 PM MDT

My first thought is, I would vote no if I was a Congressperson. My second thought is that Prince doesn't equate with any of the people you mentioned. Prince was an entertainer and though he was a pretty good one I don't see how he, in any way, contributed to society at anywhere's near the same level as those you mentioned. Obviously, this is only my opinion on the matter. :)
      October 25, 2021 4:00 PM MDT

We definitely agree on this one.  I was horrified that Amy Klobuchar would even think of doing this.
      October 25, 2021 9:43 PM MDT

I loved Prince in the early years.  I think he was one of the greatest talents in this country's history.  I do not think that is the kind of "mark" that deserves the Congressional Medal of Honor. 
      October 25, 2021 4:35 PM MDT

I would not be in favor of that. I would, instead, set to work on a bill in Prince's honor aimed at trying to reverse the opioid crisis and get and keep the FDA out of big pharma's pocket.  

As if that's ever going to happen...

:(
      October 25, 2021 6:08 PM MDT

Interesting that Washington received it considering that he was Commander in Chief of the continental army. I wouldn't have thought of him as a civilian.
      October 25, 2021 9:49 PM MDT

Technically the entire revolutionary army were civilians, given that the United States per se didn't exist at the time - and had the revolution failed, Washington and his cohorts would have been executed for treason.
    In its early history the US didn't have a regular army either, it couldn't afford one - which is what the Second Amendment was all about, so that State militias could call on armed civilians as and when required (as happened in 1812-15). As the US now has the best funded standing military on the planet, said Amendment is an anachronism.
      October 26, 2021 5:00 PM MDT

The risk of losing and being hanged for treason is what prompted Ben Franklin to famously quip, "We must all hang together, or we will, most assuredly, hang separately."
      October 26, 2021 6:28 PM MDT

No. We have the 2nd amendment because the government has weapons. 
    It was not passed to take the place of a standing army. It was passed to clarify that it is a right of the people....the gov does not have to power to take that right or any of the rights listed in the Bill of Rights.  One of the major reasons that started the revolution was the fact that British attempted to disarm the colonies. They started doing this in 168.   This is why our right to keep and bear arms is enshrined in the Bill of Rights as a individual right of the people. 
      October 27, 2021 5:36 AM MDT

You do know that the government has tanks, and F-35s, and drones, right? You're bringing guns to a drone fight. All civilians can do is shoot each other.
    It's all about militias, READ THE FIRST LINE OF THE AMENDMENT.
      October 27, 2021 5:40 PM MDT

What do you think the definition of militia is?  Any able bodied military aged citizen not a enlisted member of the military. At the time of the Founding Fathers that would have been limited to men.   But it never limited arms rights to just men. Women have always been included.  What part of "the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is hard to understand?  People not militia.  The people. 

You think people here do not have tanks?  We do. 
    Do think if we the people would not take control of the armories? 
    Now, are we not being told the protesters on Jan 6 nearly took over the Capitol with only their cell phones? Can't have it both ways. 
      October 27, 2021 6:30 PM MDT

The specific wording is "a well-organized militia". Not a rabble in arms. Not a mob.
      October 27, 2021 6:37 PM MDT

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed. 

It does not state people must be a member of a well organised militia to keep and bear arms. It says the people's right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.   ie. If needed to call upon them, it will be good if they already have arms and know how to use them. So they do not have to be trained from square one. 

SCOTUS has ruled on this more than once. (Heller, McDonald and Caetano) 2nd amendment is an individual right not just for military members. There is another case headed that way about carrying in public. 
      October 28, 2021 6:14 AM MDT

John Wayne, musician Frank Sinatra, Jackie Robertson and Peanuts comic strip creator Charles M. Schulz, also recived this award. I don't see where they fit with the list in the question. 

So given that they also qualified for it. Yes. I would vote to give it to him.
      October 26, 2021 7:08 AM MDT

Jackie Robertson Robinson, if you're thinking of the famous baseball player.
      October 26, 2021 10:16 AM MDT

I'd vote "No".
    Of course, in today's political climate anybody doing that will be accused of racism.
    To which I would reply ... Jimi Hendrix deserves the medal more than Prince, if we are going by contribution to music.
      October 26, 2021 8:11 AM MDT

No.
      October 26, 2021 9:55 AM MDT

I'm from  Minnesota,  so I'd have to vote yes. But I never care too much who does or doesn't get an award. Recipients of this medal are a  mixed bag and Prince is no more or less deserving than a lot of them. Maybe he's no Mother Theresa,  but since Frank Sinatra got one, why not Prince? 
      October 26, 2021 4:01 PM MDT