Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Quantum mechanics: a particle in multiple places at the same time -means entire universe consists of 1 single particle EVERYWHERE at once?

Quantum mechanics: a particle in multiple places at the same time -means entire universe consists of 1 single particle EVERYWHERE at once?

What think ye? The physical universe began from a single particle then quantum mechanics took over with its own unique capabilities to create the realistic universe of billions of galaxies from a single particle being in ALL places at the same time. This particle would also be given all the properties and ability to do  the actions of every kind of particle as well at the same time.
What is the catch? That would not be possible because.....

Posted - November 4, 2021

Responses

I didn't think quantum mechanics theorized that a single particle could be in multiple places at the same time.

If everything consisted of a single particle in multiple places at once ... wouldn't that prohibit mutations?
    For example:  everybody would have the same type of cancer because altering the particle in one person's cell, would alter it for everyone.
      November 4, 2021 12:25 PM MDT

Quantum research has demonstrated that a particle can be in two places at once but to say in extensive multiple places is actually being a bit imaginary yet.
    I think entanglement of particles would have to  be a deliberate action and not happen spontaneously.
      November 4, 2021 12:42 PM MDT

Do you have a link for that?

I had heard they proved two particles could be linked regardless of distance, but hadn't heard one particle could be in two places at once.
      November 4, 2021 1:13 PM MDT

I am unable to make a link with my smartphone but try google 'quantum physics may be even spookiest than you think'  there is a Scientific American website that explains quantum superposition.
      November 4, 2021 1:35 PM MDT

The very act of measurement seems to “collapse” the superposition.

Sounds like they need a Heisenberg Compensator.
    (anybody who understands that reference, without doing a web search, gets a gold star.)
      November 4, 2021 2:01 PM MDT

A quantum superposition state can only exist in an environment of zero dimension, when exposed to a 3D (conventional) environment then the superposition will decohere. Doing a measurement or making a physical observation spoils your superposition state.
    Kind of like your dreams often 'decohere' the moment you open your eyes.

I never heard of a Heisenberg compensator before but it sounds like a good idea. This post was edited by Kittigate at November 4, 2021 2:52 PM MDT
      November 4, 2021 2:25 PM MDT

Quantum physicists don't measure...they only do math.

November 4, 2021 2:56 PM MDT

Everything in the universe would happen at the same time, from beginning to end.
      November 4, 2021 12:26 PM MDT

Wait a second! Does that mean I wouldn’t have to choose, I could have everything I want at the same time? (I’m so happy, folks!)

~

November 4, 2021 12:46 PM MDT

I don't think quantum mechanics makes metaphysical phantom magic a realistic possibility.
      November 4, 2021 1:14 PM MDT

You could be born, celebrate all your birthdays, live your dreams and die at the same instant. Same with the universe; quantum superposition of time. The uni begins and ends in zero elapsed time.
      November 4, 2021 1:03 PM MDT

You didn’t include eating sandwiches or collecting tildes! Grrrrrrr. 

:(

November 4, 2021 1:15 PM MDT

Just for fun I quantumly entangled all your sammiches so when you start eating one you have to be eating them all simultaneously. I was practicing teleportation experiences with your tildes now they are gone and I am not sure where.
      November 4, 2021 2:02 PM MDT

Hmmm.

November 4, 2021 2:58 PM MDT

For a guy who doesn't look very hungry he sure can eat!
      November 4, 2021 3:11 PM MDT

Wrong photo. 

~

November 4, 2021 3:20 PM MDT

There is a particle that exists everywhere at once.  It’s called the “Dust Particle”.  People think there’s many dust particles, but in actuality, there’s only one.  This particle not only has the ability to move at speeds well beyond the speed of light, but it’s also constantly morphing into different shapes.  It moves so fast that it can appear as if it’s everywhere at the exact same time (a table top, a picture frame, a wall, under a bed, etc.).  This is why whenever one attempts to move it, it's always still there.  At certain times of the day, a single shaft of sunlight can allow one to glimpse this particle as it bounces around, morphing into countless different shapes and sizes.  It’s moving so fast that it’ll appear as if there are multiple particles, floating like feathers in the sunlight.  But what’s really mind-blowing is the fact that everything we see (even our own selves) is just this one single particle (from dust to dust). 

November 4, 2021 2:51 PM MDT

Hmm, only one typo.
      ~

November 4, 2021 3:48 PM MDT

(Ahem) we discussed this earlier, rememberr...  forest, trees?  So just take a deep breath, relax and enjoy the bad humor.  
      November 4, 2021 6:05 PM MDT

Only one.
      ~

November 4, 2021 7:44 PM MDT

Just let it go... let it go.   Breathe.  You can do it.
      November 4, 2021 9:31 PM MDT

~

November 4, 2021 9:35 PM MDT

I hear a heard of worms, and they're heading in ... that direction.
      November 4, 2021 10:00 PM MDT

That explains dust bunnies.

hoolawhoop: dust bunnies
      November 4, 2021 6:50 PM MDT