Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What has been your experience with chiropractic treatment?

What has been your experience with chiropractic treatment?

I'm wondering if it's  something I  should  try.

Posted - November 29, 2021

Responses

Proceed with caution is all I can say. 
      November 29, 2021 4:44 PM MST

I wish you would say more,
      November 29, 2021 5:32 PM MST

Chiropractors helped my mother quite a bit.but my experience was not so good for my feet problem. I think the guy knew he could not do much for my feet but he just wanted the business. This post was edited by Kittigate at November 29, 2021 8:34 PM MST
      November 29, 2021 5:02 PM MST

“ . . . quite a but my . . . ”???

November 29, 2021 5:43 PM MST

Forgot the bit, he he.
      November 29, 2021 7:13 PM MST

It really depends on your issue (eg. an injury verses simply having your spine or pelvis realigned.  They're good with bone and joint issues.
    While all of them will "adjust" you, not all use the same techniques (massage, cracking, ultrasound, etc.)

I've been to many chiropractors in my life.  Almost all of them helped to some degree.  Of course, I had a few who did nothing but "crack me" then said come back (not all issues can be resolved by being "cracked").  Don't expect to feel great after the first session.  While you might, many times you'll feel worse It takes most people 3-4 sessions to help them, with occasional adjustments thereafter.  If you're really out of alignment and have been so for some time, your probably won't feel better after 1 visit (you may even feel worse).  Chiropractors aren't miracle workers.

November 29, 2021 5:57 PM MST

Thank you.
      November 29, 2021 6:41 PM MST

I was always skeptical about them, and for that reason I balked at ever giving it a try. I was a decades-long proponent of massage therapy, but not chiropractors.

Then one day due to a worker’s compensation case I had, I was given a list of chiropractors to choose from as the clinician who would see me. There was one on the list who just happened to be the same chiropractor my best buddy had been seeing for years. My buddy was a raving worshipper of chiropractic services based on this guy’s handling of him, so I allowed myself to be talked into it.

I was authorized five preliminary visits, I believe, followed by a re-evaluation to determine whether more visits would be necessary (this was approximately 2010, so I don’t remember all the details). At the very first visit, the place was packed with patients, and it seemed that every examination room was being used, it was almost like a revolving door mill. After I checked in and completed all the required paperwork, the staff led me to an exam room, took my vitals and told me that the chiropractor would be with me soon. The staff had me open my shirt and lie facedown on the examination table, left me there for 10 or 15 minutes until the chiropractor burst into the room, quickly introduced himself and began doing something to my neck and shoulders. It seemed really weird to me, especially since all of my massage experience had been with female therapists. I do need to say that all of my massage experiences had been above board, nothing sexual, just regular massages. So there I was with some guy touching me the way that only women have touched me before, it weirded me out. He did something about cracking my neck or cracking my back or cracking my shoulders, I can’t really remember.

The biggest difference between the chiropractic session and a massage session was that he was only in there about 10 minutes maybe 15 at the top, and then he said I was finished. I never even got a look at him until he was finished grabbing and was scribbling something in my chart while I sat up and buttoned my shirt. He was soon off to the next exam room and I checked out with the staff and went on my way.

I don’t know what was supposed to have happened in those 15 minutes, and of course I did not expect any immediate change or noticeable change right that moment or even within the next few hours. However, the entire experience was  just a little too weird for me, and I really questioned the overall effectiveness of chiro. Needless to say, my skepticism was not erased with that one visit. The entire business seemed to me to be more volume-based than anything else, because of the way so many patients were crammed into such a short period of time with such quick visits, and especially with mine being paid for through Worker’s Compensation, it just didn’t seem right to me.

Even though I never went back for any of the other sessions, I just got an overall bad impression that first time and I have never returned to see any other chiropractors. I don’t believe I ever will in the future, either.

My buddy, who was and still is anti-massage, continues to go to chiropractors, and I continue to go to massage therapists. I even had a stint of about a year and a half of acupuncture too (around 2011-2013).
    ~

November 29, 2021 6:24 PM MST

Thank you. 
      November 29, 2021 6:43 PM MST

You just thanked yourself.
    ___

November 29, 2021 8:36 PM MST

And?
      November 29, 2021 9:33 PM MST

None 
      November 29, 2021 7:22 PM MST

I've been helped.
    Funny - - I can't even remember the exact reasons I went. Haven't been to either of the two in a long time and feeling good as far as chiropractic-related issues.
      November 29, 2021 7:45 PM MST

If you have back pain or spinal issues you should definitely go see one.  I had some minor back pain after my first pregnancy and he fixed it up right away.
      November 29, 2021 8:31 PM MST

But I’ll never be pregnant!

:|

~

November 29, 2021 8:33 PM MST

The question was about my experience with a chiropractor.
      November 29, 2021 8:36 PM MST

Folks, if I ever show up pregnant, investigate Livvie, please. 

:|

November 29, 2021 8:37 PM MST

Thanks,  Livvie. Like Randy, I'll never be pregnant, but I  do have some back pain.
      November 29, 2021 9:35 PM MST

Maybe you and I should work something out along those lines, you know, on an experimental level!

~

November 29, 2021 10:10 PM MST

I had low back problems in my early 30s.  I saw a chiropractor a few times and it helped, but not for long.  A day or two later, I was back to being in pain.  You should find out what exactly is wrong.  I had a herniated disk,  something for which chiropractic was not the real solution.  I had more lasting relief with massage therapy.  The other solution would have been surgery, but there was no guaranty that would be 100% successful, so I didn't go that route.  I still have the problem, but have learned to live with it.  
      November 29, 2021 9:31 PM MST

Thank you.
      November 29, 2021 9:36 PM MST

I broke my neck 27 years ago. My Dr told me never to go to a chiropractor for any reason. Mainly because the first thing most want to do it crack your neck. (According to my Dr....I have listened so cannot confirm if this is true) 

I do recommend physical therapy. I was rear-ended a few years later and my neck really hurt.  My car insurance paid for up to 2
    $2000 of therapy.  
    The therapist was very cautious about the heat etc because of the screws in my neck. 
    After the first session I was kind of mad. He took my head in his hands and moved it around. It felt loke he was literally trying to yank my head off.  He told me that was just how tight my muscles were in my neck. Any after about 5 sessions, I was much better. And on the last one, he did the same thing with my neck and it did not hurt a bit. 
      November 30, 2021 8:14 AM MST