Active Now

Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Recreation » What have you ever used a length of rope for?

What have you ever used a length of rope for?

A length of rope is always a must for sailors and cowboys.

Posted - December 9, 2021

Responses

Clothesline, tying objects down on a trailer, anchoring a dinghy or tying it to a pier, abseiling, ziplining.
      December 9, 2021 3:45 PM MST

Tying down "green waste" in the back of my truck (it's a pain to roll up, but I don't want to cut it).
      December 9, 2021 4:57 PM MST

The most recent time I use one was to tie down my pool winter cover.
      December 9, 2021 5:23 PM MST

Hanging a swing from a tree branch.

Hanging pine cones covered with peanut butter from low tree limbs.

Hanging a hammock between two trees.

We had a big spool of rope and used it for many things.  It was kind of skinny and we braided it for heavy projects. 
      December 9, 2021 6:44 PM MST

Playing jump rope as a kid.
      December 9, 2021 6:57 PM MST

1). Tug-o-war at school or summer camp or picnics.

2). Playing cowboys as a kid.

3). Even though I was terrible at it during gym class in elementary school and junior high school and at summer camp, I somehow became quite adept at rope-climbing once I mastered the foot-anchor technique. I can’t remember the specifics of when, how, or where I finally got it, but from that day on, I’ve never encountered a rope that I couldn’t or cannot climb. When I joined the Marines at age 18, rope-climbing abilities took on even more relevance because on in boot camp, it was required that in addition to merely manipulate one’s own body weight, we also had to climb with full combat gear, helmet, rifle, etc. I was a small and skinny lightweight, so I was able to scrabble up that rope in no time at all on the obstacle course, the rope was the last event, and we would be dog-tired by the time we got to it; however, I always flew up it with ease. At times trials, I excelled because I still had enough piss and vinegar on in me to effortlessly manage the whole obstacle course, especially the rope. The recruits who couldn’t complete the rope climb, either for lack of ability or for having the ability yet being worn to a frazzle by all the preceding events had their scores suffer.

4). Aboard ship, ropes quite often came in handy for securing gear, hoisting or lowering gear, small boat operations, etc.

5).  In the field, ropes were integral in securing equipment, rock-climbing, sectioning off areas, makeshift stretchers, and erecting tents.

6). Tying down furniture or other large items during a move or on shopping excursions.

6).  More recently, tying boxes up for shipment overseas to my wife’s family.

I might be excluding some, but I think that’s enough for now.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at December 10, 2021 8:23 AM MST
      December 9, 2021 7:59 PM MST

Thanks.. lots of info.
      December 9, 2021 11:39 PM MST

No, thank you. I haven’t thought about some of that stuff in decades, it was good to reminisce.
    ~

December 10, 2021 7:08 AM MST

Tying down things on trailers and in back of trucks. 
    Hanging fish swing from tree. 
    Towing vehicles. 
    Tug of war with dog.
      December 10, 2021 7:04 AM MST

I plead the Fifth.
      December 10, 2021 8:12 AM MST

I have used ropes and thin cords in lots of things...

Securing loads on trailers or in vehicles.

As part of lifting-tackle in various situations.

Lashing sticks together for garden plant-support frames.

Additional guy-lines for tents.

Temporary fences in public events like village fetes.

In caving, either as life-lines or for abseiling down and "prusiking" back up the rope to negotiate "pitches" (vertical drops).

May 2, 2022 6:16 PM MDT