Active Now

DannyPetti
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Have you ever been asked to place your hand on the Bible when giving testimony? Is that supposed to make judge think he is God or something?

Have you ever been asked to place your hand on the Bible when giving testimony? Is that supposed to make judge think he is God or something?

Is that kind of ritual still practiced? Does it matter which hand? If I placed my left hand on the Good Book would I be ordered to use my right hand?

Posted - December 16, 2021

Responses

It has absolutely nothing to do with making judges think of themselves, especially not that they are God, Gods, or gods.

December 16, 2021 10:25 PM MST

That practice might make the testimony giver feel somewhat intimidated that he/she must not lie or The Judge (God) will give a harsher punishment. I don't think God even comes into the picture at all and the practice of placing hand on the Holy Bible is dumb.

I am kind of just joking about making the judge think he is God. This post was edited by Kittigate at December 16, 2021 11:07 PM MST
      December 16, 2021 10:40 PM MST

Lying under oath is, in fact, a crime known as perjury.
      December 16, 2021 11:14 PM MST

One may object to swearing the oath. One may affirm to tell the truth instead of swearing on the Bible. But your post begs the question that if you think of the Bible as a "Good Book," why would you object? You obviously chose to call it good for a reason.

If you refuse to testify under oath and/or under affirmation, that can constitute both civil and criminal contempt of court, and you can be fined and locked up until you are willing to tell the truth. Seems to me that that would be more trouble than it's worth and a lot dumber than a basically harmless ritual, especially if you have nothing to hide.
      December 16, 2021 11:28 PM MST

I have often heard the Bible referred to as the 'Good Book' and I think that term is respectable for the Bible. I do think the hand on the Bible ('so help me God') ritual is misusing the Bible; that it was never meant for that purpose. I would have no problem swearing or affirming to tell the truth and being aware of perjury.
    . Swearing on the Bible has no meaning at all for an unbeliever/atheist such as I am also. This post was edited by Kittigate at December 17, 2021 3:29 AM MST
      December 17, 2021 12:01 AM MST

Then you should have no problem swearing the oath when the alternative is being locked up for contempt of court.
      December 17, 2021 3:32 AM MST

Yes,  that is true.
      December 17, 2021 6:30 AM MST

Having been a witness and a juror ... I have never seen anyone asked to place their hand on the Bible.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure why people are asked to raise their right hand and affirm the oath.
    Huh.  Looked that up. 
    Turns out brands were sometimes used as a "lenient" punishment.
    So, by raising their hand, the judge could see if the witness was branded as a criminal and weigh their evidence with that in account.

And the only phrase necessary to avoid contempt charges for refusing to testify is along the lines of ... "I invoke my Fifth Amendment right".
      December 17, 2021 7:28 AM MST

Thanks.
      December 17, 2021 8:36 AM MST

I have only been sworn in as a large group in a open court.  We all stood and raised our right hand and repeated the oath to tell the truth under penalty of the law. (No Bible used)

The practice was used because by placing the hand on the Bible it also made it as if swearing an oath to God to tell the truth.  (Not to the judge) The Bible helps remind people that God has penalties for lying and He knows what the truth is.
      December 17, 2021 8:48 AM MST

I actually refused to do so when I was called as a witness, and made an affirmation instead. I consider it to be the height of hypocrisy to take an oath on a book that expressly forbids the taking of oaths, and that as a direct quote of Jesus Christ rather than the opinion of an evangelist or epistle writer.
    "Again, you have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, 'You shall not swear falsely, but carry out the vows you have made to the Lord.' But I say to you, Do not swear at all, either by Heaven, for it is the throne of God, nor by the Earth, for it is His footstool, nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not even swear by your own head, for you cannot make one hair white or black by so swearing. Let your yes be yes and your no, no; anything more than this comes from the evil one."
    Matt 5: 33-37
      December 19, 2021 7:24 AM MST