Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Why do people who do not have to work with customers always seem happier than people who do have to?

Why do people who do not have to work with customers always seem happier than people who do have to?

Posted - January 5, 2022

Responses

Because some customers are just a pain. And if you are not the boss you cannot tell them to leave. 
      January 6, 2022 7:45 AM MST

If you told every pain in the neck customer to leave, you wouldn't have any customers left.
      January 6, 2022 11:20 AM MST

Not at my business.  I only have about 2 a year. I can normally  handle them. Humor  works best.

I have told one or two over the last  25 yrs that I did not have any product to sell them. Even though  the piece they wanted  was sitting  right in front of them.  I told a wholesaler this year that I did not want to sell to her... she did not know how to speak to people respectfully. 

January 7, 2022 4:40 AM MST

I completely agree, humor works best. 
      January 7, 2022 11:00 AM MST

The only time I worked with customers was at a golf range. I really enjoyed it. I am not as happy when I am not working.
      January 6, 2022 8:33 AM MST

Every employee works with customers, either external or internal to the organization.
    Thus, those who don't work with customers are not employed for some reason.
    If they were previously employed - they are probably happy that they are no longer in that job.
    If they have never been employed - they are probably "blissfully ignorant".
      January 6, 2022 12:03 PM MST

Because 99.9% of customers are stupid, and the other .01% are chomping at their heels.  

Customer - "Hey you, where's polenta!"
    Manager - "I'm sorry, sir, but due to manufacturing issues, that item is temporarily out of stock."
    Customer - "well, go look in back!"
    Manager - "I'm sorry, sir, but we don't have any."
    Customer - "Ain't you even gonna go look!!"
    Manager - "Sir, we do not have ...."
    Customer quickly stomps off in a rage, finds another clerk, and asks them the same question.  Upon getting the same answer, they angrily demand to see the manager. 

Then there's the customer who, the day before Thanksgiving when the store was packed with people, lunged over the counter and assaulted a deli clerk because they didn't like having to wait for their order to be prepared.    

I spent nearly 30 years dealing with customers.  I ended up having a complete mental and physical breakdown.  

January 6, 2022 12:22 PM MST

When I worked retail, the franchise was owned by 2 brothers.
    Both had main jobs as lumberjacks, and were of Polish ancestry.
    So big, stubborn, and weren't about to put up with ... stupidity.

We were more than happy to refer customers to "the owner" or "the manager".  LOL
      January 10, 2022 7:58 AM MST