Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Has GPS ever given you completely wrong directions when you were trying to locate an address?

Has GPS ever given you completely wrong directions when you were trying to locate an address?

I recently used GPS to take me to a business address, it was several blocks off, and in fact, instead of showing me an office building in the business district, it was a junkyard in an industrial area. I thought that technology was supposed to be so accurate. Grrrrrrr.
[~]

Posted - January 6, 2022

Responses

Yes, yes and yes.  The worst one took me around the same two blocks. 
      January 6, 2022 8:18 AM MST

I've never used one. My brain has its own GPS, but sometimes it doesn't work.
      January 6, 2022 8:31 AM MST

My GPS keeps telling me to turn one turning too early. Tried to find subway park and ride but ended up in another on the opposite side of the Clockwork Orange. This post was edited by Malizz at January 6, 2022 5:27 PM MST
      January 6, 2022 8:43 AM MST

That's what you get for trying to save money by using the Chinese version.
      January 6, 2022 10:59 AM MST

I seriously don't understand why people follow GPS instructions to take some snow-covered logging road.
    If my GPS told me to do so, I would say "Nope".
    I suspect such moments are actually extraterrestrials hacking GPS units to more easily get laboratory test subjects.
      January 7, 2022 10:25 AM MST

Mapquest has given me incorrect directions twice.  Yesterday I was driving to a destination in another town and my passenger turned on that annoying woman on her phone to tell me how to go.  I stated that I didn't need help but, alas, the voice continued.  I don't know where she thought she was taking me, but I drove straight to my destination  since I've been up there several times.  So, the answer is, it tried. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at January 6, 2022 8:55 PM MST
      January 6, 2022 12:38 PM MST

South Australia is sometimes snarkily referred to as "the roadwork state", Google maps is never up to date.
      January 7, 2022 1:35 AM MST

January 7, 2022 8:53 AM MST

A wholesale customers location was incorrect in Google Maps. I think a former business partner may have done it on purpose after a split up.   It brought me to a residential area. I fixed it for them on Maps.  I know they said they were busier that year. I did not tell them their location was wrong before....they were older and I did not want them to worry about it.
      January 7, 2022 6:15 AM MST

Not that far out no, but certainly some peculiar detours.

Once, not far from my destination in an industrial-estate in an area of the country I had never previously visited, the virtual (virtuous?) lady in the box told me to turn right. So I turned right, slightly surprised but not too worried to now be in a housing-estate.

"Take the next turn left"... I obeyed.

"Turn left". (Errr, eh?) Meekly, I did as I was told.

"Turn right"..... That's right, "she" had led me in a large rectangle and now wanted me to turn back onto the busy main road I had been on, 100 yards from where I'd been told to leave it, and barely fifty yards from a blind bend....

My GPS, or "Sat-nav" as it is called here (from 'Satellite Navigation') - 'Sat-nag', a friend calls it - sometimes finds it hard to keep up. A few years ago I tried to use it to reach the race-course at the Northern English city of Doncaster. Now, you'd expect a race-course to be out on the fringes of the suburbs. Not this one. It's as good as in the city centre.

The last sign-post to the race-course was on the motorway turn-off well outside the town, then it was down to her-in-the-box and me.... The route proved a fiendish tangle of junctions and heavy traffic the sta-nag could not track rapidly enough; and our fraught meanderings found an industrial-estate and joined the lorries queuing for the rail-freight terminal. Eventually we found the venue and its car-park entrance, part-way along an urban dual-carriageway. I'm not going there again, I vowed.
      January 11, 2022 4:17 PM MST

My GPS has been out for a couple of days.  I really should have street maps for backup.  
      January 11, 2022 4:31 PM MST