Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Do you think that the Bible, regardless whether or not a person might be 'religious' can be an interesting source for discussions?

Do you think that the Bible, regardless whether or not a person might be 'religious' can be an interesting source for discussions?

Eg.."And I declared that the dead, who had already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive, but better than both is the one who has never been born for they hath not seen the evil work that is being done under the sun".

How can it make sense that after a life has ended that there can be any feelings to perceive happiness?

Talking about persons who have never been born must be very puzzling. There are multiple trillions who have never been born and never will be born.

Do you think the Bible story writers made stuff up sometimes just to inspire thought?

Posted - February 15, 2022

Responses

Allow me to paraphrase your example - 

Life sucks.  Those who’ve died are fortunate as they don’t have to deal with this crap anymore.  Better still is the one who hasn’t been born, as they don’t even know how crappy it is. 

February 15, 2022 10:11 PM MST

I think it's too bad there is no afterlife where we could spend eternity talking to each other about our lifetime experiences if we all spoke and understand the same language. Like chatting with someone who spent time helping to build the Great Wall of China or someone who was a deckhand on wooden sailing ship; finding endless different interesting people to converse with.
      February 15, 2022 11:51 PM MST

Sure, it would be interesting for a while.  But have you ever been to a gathering of people, and realize you've heard the same stories over and over?  Can you imagine an eternity of that?  THAT would be "hell".
      February 16, 2022 6:59 AM MST

Yes, I suppose..
      February 17, 2022 12:29 AM MST

Some of it yes, most of it no. 
      February 17, 2022 2:17 AM MST

It's a piece of literature like other books, no more, no less.
      February 17, 2022 3:57 AM MST

The OT is surprisingly complex given the language and culture it was written in. Like any piece of literature, it can be an interesting source of topics to discuss. That and its sequel have, however, been misused, cherry-picked and quoted wildly out of context to justify more atrocities than any book written before or since. The Qu'ran is rapidly catching up, but hasn't got there yet. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at February 17, 2022 10:07 AM MST
      February 17, 2022 4:52 AM MST