Discussion » Questions » Music » Are there songs for you in which you're slightly annoyed with how a singer pronounces a word?

Are there songs for you in which you're slightly annoyed with how a singer pronounces a word?

Two come to mind for me at the moment (and I very much like both singers)

Phil Collins (in Genesis) in "Invisible Touch"  :          " Invisible touCHA"

Billy Ocean in "Caribbean Queen"  :                          "Carah-bu-ehhn queen"

Posted - February 20, 2022

Responses

I'm annoyed every time I hear "chew" instead of "you". 

I don't understand how professional singers never learned something our choir teacher taught us in 4th grade. Enunciation! 

Speaking of Phil Collins - did we ever find out what 'sussudio' means? ;) 

February 20, 2022 8:52 PM MST

Sussudio - - one of their songs I never really liked too well, how about chew? Ha.  :)
      February 20, 2022 9:12 PM MST

Hi, again, SavvyAnsley - - I didn't actually answer your question - - but I have no idea what Sussudio means.
    :)
      February 21, 2022 7:20 PM MST

Yes.  It figgers. 

February 20, 2022 11:04 PM MST

Yes!  :)

I admit I still really like that song.  And Morissette.  :)  Unique singing style for sure.

I realize she gets endless chastisement about this song, that none of her examples in the song are actually examples of irony . I don't care, though -- I' m s still with her.   :)

Thanks for posting the song, Thriftymaid. I enjoyed listening again as I typed here.

February 21, 2022 7:17 PM MST

Pretty well any Gospel song where the British singer sticks with the original US accent instead of using the UK accent. They usually post the words with the US spelling too. 
      February 21, 2022 5:11 AM MST

That's pretty interesting, thanks, Malizz!
    :)
      February 21, 2022 7:18 PM MST

Manfred Mann slurred his cover of Springsteen's Blinded By the Light atrociously. It was bad enough that he changed the line "cut loose like a deuce", which rhymes, to "revved up like a deuce", which doesn't - but then the diction was so awful that everyone thought he was singing "wrapped up like a douche". This post was edited by Slartibartfast at February 22, 2022 7:21 PM MST
      February 21, 2022 9:03 PM MST

Good one!
    I have trouble understanding the words in that song. And "another rugger in the night" or something like that. Runner in the night? I do enjoy the song, though. Ha.
      February 22, 2022 7:22 PM MST