Discussion » Questions » History » "Give me liberty or give me death" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775. Do you think that is going to too great an extreme in a literal sense?

"Give me liberty or give me death" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775. Do you think that is going to too great an extreme in a literal sense?

Posted - March 2, 2022

Responses

Some of us would rather die than be someone's slave.   No, I do not think it is too much. 
      March 2, 2022 9:28 AM MST

Very courageous!
      March 2, 2022 9:44 AM MST

Patrick Henry was really only putting words to the truth of the situation.
    As leaders of a rebellious colony, if they were captured by the British or lost the war - they would be found to be traitors and put to death.
    He also railed against a strong federal government; prefering a small, weak, Switzerland-style federal government - where most of the power rested in the individual state governments.

Of course, there is irony in his words ... as he was a slave owner.
    He allegedly opposed slavery, but owned slaves.  He wrote that he was conflicted and couldn't justify the practice - but didn't set any of his slaves free. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at March 2, 2022 1:54 PM MST
      March 2, 2022 9:38 AM MST

Ditto Jefferson. He had one slave who was also his mistress, had children by him.
      March 2, 2022 2:57 PM MST

Back then if you were in debt and owned slaves you were not allowed to free the slaves. They were assets. (Just as if we still owe the bank on a mortgage, you cannot just give your house away) You could surrender them to pay your debt but that did not free them. It just changed their owners and you did not control how the new owner treated the slaves. 

Most of our founders were in debt from funding the revolutionary war. This post was edited by my2cents at March 2, 2022 4:02 PM MST
      March 2, 2022 3:44 PM MST

He was HAVING SEX with her while he was married to someone else. If he had really given a fig for her he'd have gone back to France after the war and married her there, where interracial marriage was perfectly legal.
      March 3, 2022 1:04 AM MST

Yes. He had an affair.  Not any different than many other politicians.  Does not in any way excuse it. 
    He just fought the revolutionary war for the US and you think he would move to France. 
    Just because something is legal does not mean it is accepted throughout.  
      March 3, 2022 6:04 AM MST

And the Founders could have changed that simply by recognizing slaves as people in the law and abolishing slavery.
    Thus increasing the irony of them claiming to be fighting for freedom from oppression.
      March 3, 2022 6:47 AM MST

Certainly, but they also knew if they did that the Constitution would never have been ratified.    
    However, they knew the wording of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights would lead to the elimination of slavery. And they did not change the words.
    (They were recognized as people.  But not as free people) This post was edited by my2cents at March 3, 2022 11:13 AM MST
      March 3, 2022 8:19 AM MST

No.
      March 2, 2022 11:28 AM MST

Maybe. If America hadn't fought the Revolutionary War. what would we be? Canada.
      March 2, 2022 12:54 PM MST

Not so sure about that.
    The east coast, for the most part, sure.  And some of the west coast.
    Spain had Florida and much of the southwest. 
    France had the Louisiana Territory (Missouri and Mississippi River areas).
    Russia had Alaska.

Without America as a nation, though, the colonial powers would continue to use it as a proxy and there's no telling who would rule it today.
    Imagine if Spain found out about the gold in California.  Or Russia found out about the gold in Alaska.
      March 2, 2022 1:02 PM MST

The OIL in Alaska would have been even more useful.
      March 2, 2022 2:58 PM MST

Canada didn't have to fight a Revolutionary War with Britain we just told them that we still like tea but we will smell them later and they said -  pip pip cheerio. Cheers!
      March 2, 2022 1:12 PM MST

Much, much later. Mad King George would never have let Canada go. And Her Maj is still officially Head of State, as she is down under. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at March 2, 2022 4:03 PM MST
      March 2, 2022 2:59 PM MST

I know I was just goofing around. Cheers!
      March 2, 2022 3:11 PM MST

"We must all hang together or we will, most assuredly, hang separately." - Ben Franklin
      March 2, 2022 1:56 PM MST