Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Family » What were some household rules that your parent(s) adamantly enforced when you were growing up?

What were some household rules that your parent(s) adamantly enforced when you were growing up?

Also, for those of you who are parents, which of those same rules of your parent(s) did you also use with your own child(ren)?

[~]

Posted - April 12, 2022

Responses

No swearing!
    No friends over on Sundays!
    "As long as you live under our roof you will go to church on Sunday."

April 12, 2022 10:46 PM MDT

When the street lights turned on, we went home.
      April 13, 2022 7:52 AM MDT

Yep. 
      April 13, 2022 10:53 AM MDT

The biggest one was no cussing.  I wondered what was so bad about it when I was a kid, as in “What makes it okay say poop but s*** is a bad word?”.  Now that I’m a parent, I understand.  It’s really embarrassing when your kid cusses in public or in front of their grandparents.

Other than that, we only enforce the basic rules for our kids, such as don’t hurt people or animals, don’t break other people’s stuff, don’t be mean to other people, don’t do dangerous things.

My husband abandoned all of the rules that his own grandma adamantly enforced when he was growing up. This post was edited by Livvie at April 23, 2022 8:40 AM MDT
      April 13, 2022 8:53 AM MDT

When girlfriends/boyfriends visit, the bedroom door stays OPEN. That one I also enforced until both were legal adults. Not that that stopped them, but it did when either my wife or I were at home. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at April 14, 2022 9:07 PM MDT
      April 14, 2022 8:59 PM MDT