Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » How would you tolerate being forced to live in an assisted living facility?

How would you tolerate being forced to live in an assisted living facility?

Posted - April 30, 2022

Responses

It's either that or be homeless. Either way, I slowly die alone.
      April 30, 2022 9:00 AM MDT

I suppose if I were no longer able to manage on my own, I wouldn't have any choice and I'd have to make the best of it.
      April 30, 2022 9:29 AM MDT

I would not mind at all. 
      April 30, 2022 11:09 AM MDT

First, one must be able to afford $5k or more per month to live in such a place.
      April 30, 2022 11:15 AM MDT

Yeah. I'd only last two years.
      April 30, 2022 1:30 PM MDT

I have been offered that service before . . .

I was truly, TRULY tempted, especially with the particular assistance they provide, but it was a bit too awkward for me to take advantage of it, and for a variety of reasons.

(If they’re still available a few years from now when it becomes necessary for me. Cough, cough.)
    ~

April 30, 2022 12:43 PM MDT

April 30, 2022 1:45 PM MDT

LOL!

*Randy D sidles up to you, looks around to make sure no one can hear what you two are talking about and whispers, “Listen, the word’s out that you’re planning to fly the coop. Let me go with you, would you? I won’t slow you down a bit, I promise I won’t, in fact, I can help you! I’m the one who delivers the gelatin cups to everyone just before the screws make their rounds.  I have access all over this place, I can get you through doors that nobody else can. You’re going to need a guy like me. Take me with you, that’s all I ask. I’m sure you know how this place has been driving me crazy! I can’t take this much longer. They denied me request to be transferred to a facility in Minneapolis because I don’t have any family there. They keep letting Livvie in to see me on visitors day, no matter how many times I tell them she’s out to ruin me. They won’t let me change the sign at the front gate that reads drive-thru (Grrrrrrr). The other day they insisted I have to eat food with mayonnaise in it just like everyone else. And how about that psychiatrist they make me see to convince me that collecting tildes is a dangerous and meaningless delusion? I can’t stay here, I can’t! What do you say, will you take me with you?”
    ~

April 30, 2022 2:10 PM MDT

"Alright, I'll cut you in!  But if anything goes wrong, it's every man for himself, see!"

April 30, 2022 2:25 PM MDT

April 30, 2022 10:07 PM MDT

My mom was in a great one where I could probably be content at some point WAY down the line.  The accommodations were private with bath and kitchenette.  Broadband and CATV were provided in the price.  She didn't cook but she kept snacks and ice cream and brewed coffee when she wanted it.  She didn't stay in her room very much but I would.  She liked to stay down in the big common area where she was around others.   They also have a big TV room where you could watch movies with other people...she liked that.  All meals were served in a fantastic dining room and there was a huge courtyard beyond a full wall of glass where residents could go outside whenever they wanted to. Staff could always monitor what was going on out there.   It was totally fenced so not to worry about alligators.

Nursing home.............God Please Save Me from that!!! This post was edited by Thriftymaid at May 1, 2022 6:52 PM MDT
      April 30, 2022 3:22 PM MDT

There is one I’m familiar with here in San Diego that’s similar to what you describe above. I was doing volunteer work and we went there to pick up some equipment that the management was donating to the volunteer group. Others in my group had been there before, and later told me it’s one of the priciest such facilities in the whole county. I’m telling you, that place looks like a resort hotel complex, the lap of luxury, and it’s big, too. It is spread out over several dozen acres, has many different buildings and outdoor areas, quiet, peaceful, calm, etc. 

I would have to sell off my entire tilde holdings, my royalties from grammar citations, and all of my Harem-related assets to ever afford living in a place like that!

~

April 30, 2022 10:17 PM MDT

The place I'm talking about is, and has always been, family owned....no corporate anything.  The owners and workers are all caring and a lot of fun.  The building has 70 apartments and is one story frame.  It isn't one of the new grand and fine estate-looking places.  The decor is homey and clean.  She is now in long term care and I don't think she will ever be able to leave.  We found we needed her to be accessible by actual medical personnel so we are trying to deal with that.  At least she is in our town now so we can run by very often.  I really do not want to live when I get to the point  I can't stay in my own house.

Oh yes, the cost is crazy. Florida is the only state I know of where low-income people get help with assisted living.  That is a shame. There may be other; I don't know.   Long-term care is different and has a medicaid benefit at facilities that accept it.  Not all do.   You have to spend down your assets before it kicks in.  And I am telling you it can eat up a life's work and savings in no time.  Distribute your wealth while you are alive so you can be poor when you are old enough to need a nursing home.  That has to be complete at least five years before you need the help.  There is plenty to read about all of this when you're ready to make those kinds of plans.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at May 2, 2022 4:12 PM MDT
      May 1, 2022 11:26 AM MDT

That's too far in the future for me to even begin to think about.
      April 30, 2022 6:09 PM MDT

As soon as I lose my independence, I'm on indefinite hunger strike.
      May 1, 2022 12:39 AM MDT

Hell with that.

May 1, 2022 8:09 AM MDT

Assisted living would be fine.  But I would not want to be in a nursing home. 
      May 1, 2022 6:35 AM MDT

Ditto!
      May 1, 2022 10:55 PM MDT

As long as dogs are allowed, I could get past the 'being forced' bit. Maybe. 
      May 1, 2022 7:50 AM MDT

I wouldn't want to be 'forced' to live anywhere, but if the time comes and it's a decently run place, I'm sure I'll be fine. My mom got very good care at hers. I would rather be in assisted living, than be alone and isolated or be a burden to loved ones.
      May 1, 2022 6:59 PM MDT