Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Is it legal for an apt building to make people move from one apt to another for 2 wks to renovate?

Is it legal for an apt building to make people move from one apt to another for 2 wks to renovate?

we have to take our stuff with us too, theyre going to have movers but still, i feel bad for this lady thats blind and now wont know where anything is, too much work for me and i have medical issues too, i might move out so i dont have to do it twice, but i gotta figure out where i want to go, so is it legal for them to do that?

Posted - May 9, 2022

Responses

I don't know if it is legal or illegal but I think the descent thing to do would be management offering to assist the tenants with the move and then help them move back. Cheers! 
      May 9, 2022 1:47 PM MDT

theyre having movers help
      May 9, 2022 2:12 PM MDT

That's good moving can be hard and stressful. Cheers! 
      May 9, 2022 2:13 PM MDT

I doubt anyone here is a lawyer in your area, so why do you keep asking whether things are legal?  Why don't you contact Legal Aid and get the answer yourself?
      May 9, 2022 3:18 PM MDT

I would guess it probably is legal.  If a landlord were doing something illegal, they probably wouldn’t be very open about it.  Anyway, here are seventeen people who would know all about it: https://www.lawyers.com/landlord-and-tenant-law/weld-co/colorado/law-firms/
      May 11, 2022 9:24 AM MDT

If said renovations are (1) deemed vital—such as structural repairs—and (2) pose a potential fatal or adverse risk to tenants' health, saftey or wellbeing—such as exposure to asbestos, mold, crystalline silicates, etc.—then, yes, I would assume the property would be completely within its rights to move tenants to a safer location until said renovations are completed.
      May 9, 2022 3:35 PM MDT

It likely is legal. 

I would suggest that you request that you be allowed to move into one of the apartments they've already renovated when there is a vacancy, then they can renovate your apartment then. Then you'll only have to move once and I'm sure you'll like being in a renovated apartment!
      May 9, 2022 7:08 PM MDT

Yes.  If property owners didn't keep up their rental property you would complain about that. 
      May 10, 2022 4:28 PM MDT

• Does your flat's owner want to you move out for two weeks again?

May 10, 2022 9:25 PM MDT

yes, they want us to drag our stuff from one apt to another and then drag it back 2 wks later
      May 11, 2022 8:54 AM MDT

That original question was posted on 2021-10-24.  I remember answering it back then.  It looks like you had seven months to prepare for this and figure something out.  If you know something’s coming, you just can’t freeze up and do nothing about it because you dread its coming.  A lot of people do that and it never ends well.
      May 11, 2022 9:33 AM MDT

Why not see if you can move into one of the newly renovated apartments permanently?  That way you only have to move once and you get to live in a nice clean fresh space.
      May 11, 2022 9:15 AM MDT

theyre not going to let us do that
      May 13, 2022 10:35 AM MDT

They sound like they’re being jerks then.  If you can find someplace better, you’ll only have to move once!
      May 13, 2022 10:46 AM MDT