Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » In the town or city where you live, are traditional Chinese restaurants being displaced by noodle bars?

In the town or city where you live, are traditional Chinese restaurants being displaced by noodle bars?

By “traditional“ I mean those that offer a formal fine dining experience and that you might book for a date, an anniversary or a birthday celebration. In my town, we no longer have a Chinese “restaurant“ in that sense. We do however have three noodle bars, which are all different in style. One of them is popular with Chinese students and has a menu in Chinese. 

Posted - May 23, 2022

Responses

I am not aware of that happening or not happening in my area.
    ~

May 23, 2022 2:48 PM MDT

We have no formal Chinese restaurants here. The are all take-outs or buffets. I never heard of a noodle bar.
      May 23, 2022 3:19 PM MDT

Before COVID, we had a Chinese buffet and a small Chinese restaurant that was really good.  The small but really good Chinese restaurant didn’t survive COVID-19 restrictions.  It was replaced by nothing.  

We still have the not-as-good Chinese buffet. Its Google and Yelp reviews are terrible, but it stays in business.  I actually don’t know how it survived COVID restrictions because buffets weren’t allowed at all in my area.  We couldn’t even have the salad bar at regular restaurants.

A really good Chinese buffet is 93 miles away, but it’s always super crowded so we hardly ever eat there.
      May 23, 2022 3:44 PM MDT

There was a boom in all-you-can-eat buffets in the 2000’s which now seems to have peaked. We used to have a buffet restaurant - “Chinese” or pan-Asian, I can’t remember which - but it closed within the last two years and is now a Turkish restaurant.
      May 24, 2022 1:56 PM MDT

We have a couple of buffets and a couple restaurants.  
      May 23, 2022 7:52 PM MDT

Most of the ones in the suburbs are take-away only, but they do have a proper menu. In the city, they are still the real deal, and there are a few in the suburbs, like the Lucky Dragon at nearby Mawson Lakes.
      May 27, 2022 1:34 AM MDT