Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Did you hear about the latest mass shooting in America?

Did you hear about the latest mass shooting in America?

It happened at a Memorial day festival in Oklahoma - 7 people were injured and one person was killed. The school shooting was only a few days ago and now another mass shooting and there will likely be a few more before the next election. So I think people are going to start voting for people who want sensible gun laws which will mean that Republicans will be out and Democrats will be in. Cheers! 

Posted - May 30, 2022

Responses

I haven't read the newspaper yet or looked at the news on line.  I'm not surprised.  Part of the reason people do these things is for the attention they get from it.  The more the media coverage, the more likely there will be copycats.  If only parents paid more attention to their children, maybe these things wouldn't happen so often.
      May 30, 2022 8:26 AM MDT

My wife was talking about the attention thing yesterday and I don't get it. They must know that they won't be seeing the media coverage because they will be dead. I point my finger at the constant bombardment of hate on the internet. At the NRA convention Trump bad mouthed gun regulations then he went on a rant about teaching about transgender people in the class rooms and transgender people in sports. I think that increased the chances of transgender people being shot or beat up. Cheers!
      May 30, 2022 8:55 AM MDT

I tire very quickly of how much some people hate me for simply being attracted to males - - it's just a part of me. And I never made a conscious choice to be gay. It's just a part of me.
    I don't hate people for their simply being heterosexual.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 30, 2022 1:19 PM MDT
      May 30, 2022 9:03 AM MDT

Well if it helps once I put a homophobe on the floor for trying to pick a fight with me by calling me gay and telling about all the depraved things I do. Stupid part is what started it was he noticed I cross my legs when I sit - it is all a bunch of stereotype  thinking. Cheers! 
      May 30, 2022 9:59 AM MDT

I can understand that it must be difficult for you, but I don't understand people who hate you for who you are.  Too many ignorant people believe that being gay is a choice - it isn't.  I an only feel sympathy for those who are ridiculed and hated for something over which they have no control.  
      May 30, 2022 10:35 AM MDT

Thanks. :) 
    I'm used to it the hatred from some people. I may tire of it but I don't let it bother me too much. :)
      May 30, 2022 4:54 PM MDT

I'm happy to know you're the bigger person, but you shouldn't have to be.
      May 30, 2022 6:45 PM MDT

Put on some Howard Jones and CHILL, mate. Most people actually don't care either way.
    Molesting children is absolutely not okay, but any act between consenting adults is fine and dandy - and I say that as a practising Christian. Try reading the OT in Hebrew and the NT in Greek, with a good exegetical text - you'll find it doesn't say what the haters are telling you it says.
    As you say, it's not a choice - your brain is hard wired that way. Just like ppl used to be despised and ostracised for being left-handed, or red hair, or an IQ over 170 - haters gotta hate. Ignore them, it makes you a bigger and better person than they are. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at May 31, 2022 2:13 PM MDT
      May 31, 2022 4:48 AM MDT

Howard Jones, yes. Thanks. :)

And thanks for the rest of your words, too. Appreciated.
      May 31, 2022 2:14 PM MDT

Not all of them kill themselves or are killed.  Some are taken into custody, tried and spend their lives in jail.  I agree with you that there is more to the problem than just lack of attention.  The internet, which has been a boon to man has also been the downfall of too many because of some of the content.  The anonymity of it has caused some people to completely disregard the filter of civility and will say things that they would never think of saying directly to someone's face.  
      May 30, 2022 9:04 AM MDT

Yes - - "The internet, which has been a boon to man has also been the downfall of too many because of some of the content.  The anonymity of it has caused some people to completely disregard the filter of civility and will say things that they would never think of saying directly to someone's face."  

May 30, 2022 9:10 AM MDT

I always thought it would be good to have an app that would give someone a punch in the head if they said something ignorant or racist. Cheers!
      May 30, 2022 9:21 AM MDT

An "a**app"?
    ;)

And, yup - I know I'd deserve a punch for my comment here. :)
      May 30, 2022 9:37 AM MDT

Perhaps one day in the future that will be available. :)
      May 30, 2022 10:32 AM MDT

I'm saddened again.
    I saw this article, too, after reading your question. (Yes, I know the Washington Post is considered by many to be left-leaning.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/05/30/mass-shootings-memorial-day-weekend-taft-chattanooga-uvalde/

Thank goodness for guns and those America forefathers love of guns, too. 

And I've not heard of mass knife massacres (a supposed logical reason to support guns at all costs - - knives are weapons and we don't make laws to control knives.)
      May 30, 2022 9:08 AM MDT

There have been 200+ mass shootings in the US this year. This will not stop until both sides are open to understanding the other point of view. I think the right people to initiate change are responsible gun owners. In trying understand the appeal of gun ownership,  I found this video which I found enlightening. 
      May 30, 2022 9:39 AM MDT

I saw you had posted this on another question and wanted to watch but allowed myself to get distracted
    The article I posted mentioned 200+ mass shootings. I didn't even read the entire article I posted.
      May 30, 2022 9:46 AM MDT

It's well worth watching if only to see that confiscating guns isn't the only answer. 
      May 30, 2022 11:00 AM MDT

Yes, and there's too many of them, and that's the problem.
      May 30, 2022 1:05 PM MDT

Gun violence is beyond party politics. Columbine High School and Sandy Hook Elementary School occurred during Clinton's and Obama's presidencies. Gun laws won't do anything to prevent mass shootings. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done to stop them, and that's scary.
      May 30, 2022 1:23 PM MDT

There may not be anything we can do to stop all of them, but surely that shouldn't mean we stop trying to stop some of them.
      May 30, 2022 6:48 PM MDT

But how?
      May 30, 2022 6:56 PM MDT

Ban AR-15s other than military or police.  Let's start there and work out way up to what Canada does.

May 30, 2022 8:14 PM MDT

Won't matter. Anyone angry, demented, psychotic et al enough to consider shooting a bunch of people isn't ethical or rational enough to be deterred by rules or laws. The scary reality is that nothing can be done.
      May 30, 2022 8:44 PM MDT