Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » School days. Did you have a lunch box or were you a brown-bagger?

School days. Did you have a lunch box or were you a brown-bagger?

Posted - June 7, 2022

Responses

I had a lunchbox along with the thermos from 1st grade until 8th grade.  The uncool boys, which were all of them except my friend Jamie, all brought brown bags.  Some days we had lunch from the cafeteria.  I begged my dad to make lunches for me instead of giving me lunch money because some of their lunches were just that gross.  He finally got the message when I threw up on my desk a couple of times in the afternoon after lunch.  Anyway, you just gave me an idea for a new question.
      June 7, 2022 4:45 PM MDT

I used a lunch box through 4th grade ...

AndRare and Collectible Lunch Boxes 

Collectible Metal Lunchboxes (Pre-1970) for sale | eBay | Vintage lunch  boxes, Metal lunch box, Retro lunch boxes

I brown bagged it 5th through 8th grade (on the days I took a lunch).  I didn't take a lunch in high school (waited until I got home to eat).
      June 7, 2022 5:17 PM MDT

Brown bagger.
      June 7, 2022 6:30 PM MDT

Plaid metal lunchbox until around 5th grade, then I preferred a brown bag.  My lunchbox came with a little thermos but my mom used it to take coffee to her job.  I had a cup to drink water with my lunch. 
      June 7, 2022 7:34 PM MDT

In elementary school, my siblings and I had metal lunchboxes, as was the fad back then. My sister, who is the eldest, had a plaid one. I can’t remember which pop culture designs my two brothers and I had, but I know they were themed on television shows or cartoons. Reading your question reminds me that either here on AnswerMug 2016 to present, or on its predecessor, AnswerBag, 2009 to 2015, a similar question was posted, and I believe I gave a response that included what my brothers and I had on our lunchboxes. I will call my siblings later today to see if they remember.

By the time I was in 5th grade, and then in junior high school and high school, we ate school lunches, so we didn’t carry the lunchboxes.
    ~

June 8, 2022 7:42 AM MDT

I remember that...and your response.
      June 8, 2022 8:13 AM MDT

Really? Wow. 

I spoke with my younger brother earlier this morning; he didn’t remember either about which lunchboxes that he, our elder brother and I had, but he did remember just as I did that our sister had the red plaid one. I will call her later.
    ~

June 8, 2022 1:29 PM MDT

Mine was a red tartan plaid.  Seems like I found one like it online some years ago to put on an answer here.  My own kids had plastic lunchboxes that were not even close to being as cool as the metal ones we had.  ;)
      June 8, 2022 6:22 PM MDT

I’ve searched images online and this is the closest I could come up with for the type that my sister had over forty years ago:

I believe the one in this photo differs from my sister’s version in that hers had a diagonal plaid pattern instead of vertical. I have sent her the same photo to see if she remembers. Does the photo match the way yours looked?
    ~
      June 8, 2022 7:47 PM MDT

Exactly.  Just like that one.  Most people's got banged and bent up but mine was always like new. 
      June 9, 2022 5:19 PM MDT

Neither. I was a part of the school lunch program. No lunch box for me.................EVER!!!
      June 8, 2022 10:57 AM MDT

I had a very cool Gomer Pyle lunchbox. But I kept breaking the Thermos drink container. I have no idea why that company thought it was a good idea to line the inside of something used predominantly by children with glass.
      June 8, 2022 6:29 PM MDT

Only cheap way to achieve a vacuum seal until relatively recently.
      June 10, 2022 1:49 AM MDT

Brown bags for me.
      June 10, 2022 2:53 AM MDT

• I never took lunch to school. The school served a late-morning snack and lunch.
      June 13, 2022 10:19 PM MDT