Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Are you on or enjoy Facebook?

Are you on or enjoy Facebook?

I have tried so hard to enjoy it , but it has been becoming just a contest it seems to me. I don't have current access to download pics I've taken to FB, which I'd like to, but don't have the feature currently on my phone- when I have posted, I get no likes/replies, or anything, I suspect b/c I don't post pics, and for two, many people on my list are ones from HS I barely talked to anyway. All I see is 'look what I did today!!' and that's it- not a true sharing of ideas or feelings mostly. What do you think, do you enjoy it, are you on it, will you remain on it  ?

Posted - November 6, 2016

Responses

Facebook is something I find I have to limit.  I enjoy my closest friends and some family, but if I am feeling down in the dumps, it's not the place to go.  It is hard when you see people out there seemingly having wonderful lives when of course it's only a snippet of reality.  I recently blocked a family member that seem to take pleasure in ignoring me while putting herself all over my own friend's profiles and family that I am close to.  She has always seem to want what I have and Facebook became a way for her to do it.  

I just posted about family estrangement and social media can make that even more painful if you don't block what you don't want to see.  
      November 6, 2016 9:56 PM MST

Ugh, I'm sorry PeaPod...Hugggs. I hear you, I have recently had a family member just ignore my well-wishes message and my inquirites of how she is feeling - It feels really crappy to be on there, and see that person responding to everyone else, but somehow they cannot find any time to reply to you :/  This actually happened w/a friend on FB too, both within weeks of each other.... it's making me going on there feel not positive, esp. when I've only been there for them and treated them with kindness and respect.  I know they are both actually 'phone' people, and I don't know if my messaging them has anything to do with them not replying, but I find when ANY one contacts me, esp. showing kindness, I never wonder what instrument they chose to reach out.... it touches me either way. I'm sorry your fam. member is becoming rude and just ignoring you too.. I just find it speaks about someone's character; and when it continues, for no true reason, I find (even with family) I have to really distance myself.. Ty as always Pea
      November 6, 2016 11:29 PM MST

Thank-you for responding to me with such kindness Baybreeze.  I hate admitting that such childishness even bothers me right now, but I know my state of mind has been leaving me feel rather vulnerable.  I have had numerous significant losses in the last year and it does wear you down.  

On the flip side, I do have a few incredible friends that I chat with via email and on here almost every single day and that really keep me going.  So I know I have to keep my focus on the good and not the bad.  

But yes, the combination of social media and any person that you may be questioning  where you stand with, can reek havoc if you begin to overthink it.  My sister is certainly not the first person that ever made me feel a bit invisible on such a network.  I am sure a lot of times people aren't even aware that you feel out of the loop since FB dictates who you see in your daily newsfeed.  I wonder how many people that wished I said hello more, don't hear from me because I am not aware.

This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at November 7, 2016 9:19 AM MST
      November 7, 2016 9:08 AM MST

I stay away from social networks. other than coming on am to share my views on a variety of topics i try to steer away from fb, etc. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at November 7, 2016 9:15 AM MST
      November 6, 2016 10:10 PM MST

Ya I just use it to keep in touch with family and friends back East. Cheers!
      November 6, 2016 10:51 PM MST

I have a phone for that.
      November 7, 2016 7:15 AM MST

Nope and nope.
    ~
      November 6, 2016 11:03 PM MST

• I'm on Facebook, but mainly to keep track of events. I rarely post anything at all.
      November 6, 2016 11:39 PM MST

I don't have a FB account and never will. I have heard of too many nightmarish stories a and I certainly don't want strangers to know anything about me. Here is my only form of social medium. I also do not twitter.
      November 7, 2016 7:18 AM MST

Yes, and I have good friends on there and we chat all the time.
      November 7, 2016 8:09 AM MST

Our group email on there is the best format.  I would never give it up for that alone.  
      November 7, 2016 9:17 AM MST

That and my coffee is what I look forward to every day.
      November 7, 2016 9:18 AM MST

Same here!!!
      November 7, 2016 9:27 AM MST

• I never created a FB account.  I do have a Google account which means I probably have a basic FB profile floating around out there somewhere.
      November 7, 2016 8:10 AM MST

Maybe when I start massaging I will have one.  Not yet.
      November 7, 2016 8:11 AM MST

I use FB to keep in touch with family and friends since so many live all over the place
      November 7, 2016 9:38 AM MST

It's a great way to reconnect with people that we haven't talked to in a long time too.
    I have found several people that I couldn't find any other way.
      November 7, 2016 9:43 AM MST

I will say I wouldn't have ever reconnected with the old friends and family that I did without it.  I indirectly met my husband through reconnecting with a friend I had lost touch with!

November 7, 2016 10:00 AM MST

See? Now that was a real good reason to be on FB.
      November 7, 2016 10:06 AM MST

I do agree.  It's all how you look at it.  
      November 7, 2016 10:28 AM MST

No and no.
      November 7, 2016 1:06 PM MST