Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Slartibartfast
Stu Spelling Bee
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Will we ever forget?

Will we ever forget?

On September 12, 2001, I went out to Jones Beach and just stared out at the ocean. The only thing to see was a naval ship patrolling the shore. There were quite a few people out there, but no one was speaking. It was as though we were all seeking solitude so we could gather our thoughts in an attempt to process the enormity of what occurred the day before. All I kept wondering was how could such a devastating thing happen on a cloudless day with a bright blue sky - one of the most exquisite days of the year.

May be an image of text that says 'We will never forget 09.11.2001'

Posted - September 10, 2022

Responses

I'm assuming I won't forget.

I remember most that I may be one of the few humans who never saw a 'live' image nor watched news reports on TV. I was not glued to the TV that day. 
    I heard it "live" on Howard Stern's morning radio show -  they're based in NYC. He and his team saw the events, and with just their words, brought it to me /reported it, unfortunately (based on the events) accurately.
    I've since not watched any images. The little I've seen -- my imagination creates it well enough, I don't want to see the actual images.

Later that day I made homemade, from scratch, chocolate brownies for my neighbors.
      September 11, 2022 3:27 AM MDT

I was woken by my radio alarm in the usual fashion that morning (12th September, we're almost a day ahead) but the news was anything but "normal". An old friend had stayed overnight en route from Sydney to Perth, he'd turned the TV on in the living room and was staring open-mouthed in shock - he'd returned to Australia from New York just the month before. We were both convinced that the first shots of World War III had just been fired, particularly as the Pentagon had also been hit. Details of who had perpetrated the atrocity emerged later.
      September 11, 2022 5:53 AM MDT

I thought it weird that absolutely NO aircraft flew overhead, save an occasional flyover from a pair of fighter aircraft (probably out of Beale AFB down in the Central Valley).  Other than the Pepsi driver mentioning something about a plane crash when he dropped off his load, I didn't know what had happened until I got home from work late in the day.
      September 11, 2022 4:15 PM MDT

Someone in my office got a call from home telling us to turn on the TV which we did.  That was right after the first plane hit.  We were all sure it was a plane with engine trouble and then the second plane hit and we knew this was no mistake.  We sat there around the TV dumbfounded.  There was no traffic into or out of Manhattan.  We had no idea how, if at all, we would be able to get home.  I was going to walk, but someone who left on foot earlier came back and told us no one was allowed over the 59th Street Bridge - even on foot.  Several hours later, the bridge was opened to traffic and one of the gals in my office had driven in that day and offered me a ride home.  When you go over the bridge from Manhattan to Queens, the right side of the car looks down to Lower Manhattan.  We could see the plumes of black smoke rising into the sky and we knew we had been attacked.  
      September 11, 2022 4:53 PM MDT

I'm amazed that twenty years later, there still hasn't been a spike in respiratory illness, particularly mesothilioma. The entirety of Manhattan was blanketed by a thick cloud of dust from the collapsed buildings, and all three contained copious amounts of asbestos as insulation - nobody knew how dangerous it was in 1968. Anybody who copped a lungful of that would absolutely not be able to forget, until it slowly killed them.
      September 13, 2022 1:35 AM MDT