Discussion » Questions » Politics » Why would counting votes by hand be illegal?

Why would counting votes by hand be illegal?

Posted - October 21, 2022

Responses

Why indeed. That's how it's done in Australia (we don't use machines, preferential voting precludes it).
      October 21, 2022 7:46 PM MDT

I do not like the choice voting but good no machines.

I think we should get rid of all machines.  
    All paper ballots, in person voting (unless overseas), ID required, hand count. 
      October 22, 2022 6:49 AM MDT

What about handicapped or very elderly folks who can't appear in person.  Do you just punish them by not allowing them to vote by mail?
      October 22, 2022 7:40 AM MDT

Very few exceptions,  they must provide a Doctor's exemption and ID.
      October 22, 2022 1:07 PM MDT

When they stop closing polling stations in low income areas and actually ARRESTING people for handing out water to people standing in a queue for hours on end, then make in-person voting mandatory. Not before.
      October 22, 2022 6:25 PM MDT

If you get rid of the machines. There will be no lines.   Set up another table and let more people vote at one time.   It is stupid to have to wait in line for hours to vote. It should be illegal.  They should be required to have more polling stations if the lines are going to be like that.
    The law is against campaigning at a poll station. And it should be illegal. 

Again  having lines like that should not be allowed. The longest I have ever waited was 10 min. 
      October 23, 2022 5:42 AM MDT

Perhaps people in AZ can't count past twenty.
      October 22, 2022 7:14 AM MDT

Careful...JA is from AZ. 
      October 22, 2022 5:45 PM MDT

Oops...so is my aunt Dianna.
      October 22, 2022 6:57 PM MDT

Because, back in the day before conspiracy theories that originated in Russian troll farms and were spread by Q-Anon and other Trump supporters, counting by machine was proven to be more accurate and faster than hand-counting. Recent recounts, done by hand have supported this. Thus, AZ and other states set up legal voting procedures that required counting to be done by by certified voting machines. There will always be those who cannot accept modern technology or who will blame losses on anything except the voters' choice. If we were to return to hand-counting, then new procedures would have to be legally set up far in advance of the election. IMO, hand-counting is as likely,  if not more likely, to result in election fraud and more likely to be incorrect or result in delayed reporting of results. This is a manufactured issue and personally,  I don't get my opinions of voting machines from Sidney Powell, Mike Lindell, and the other nut jobs with whom Trump has surrounded himself.
      October 22, 2022 8:41 AM MDT

If it's a choice between A or B, machines are fine.
    When there are six candidates and voters must number each square on the ballot in order of preference, currently machines can't handle that. Many people have sloppy handwriting (I'm one of them).
      October 22, 2022 4:56 PM MDT

I agree  however, Alaska just used machine count for their ranked choice primary this year. 
      October 22, 2022 6:03 PM MDT

Computers do what they are programmed to do.  Be it count correctly or do weighted votes, switching votes,.etc.  All of which the machines are capable of...
      October 22, 2022 6:02 PM MDT

Same as humans. 
      October 22, 2022 8:53 PM MDT

This is why you have 2 people, one from each party working together. If they agree on the ballot then we can assume it is correct. And neither one allowed the other to overcount or undercount their candidate/party. 

Machines can also be connected to the internet allowing hacking. They should not have the ability to connect to the internet wired or via wifi. 

https://www.wispolitics.com/2022/rep-brandtjen-voting-machines-connected-to-non-government-organization

This post was edited by my2cents at October 23, 2022 6:17 AM MDT
      October 23, 2022 5:51 AM MDT

ballet ballot
      October 23, 2022 6:00 AM MDT

Both humans and machines can be used to give inaccurate results. The solution is to put multiple safeguards in place.  Machines only do what humans tell them to do, they do not go rogue like humans can. Yes, there are vulnerabilities, and there are people who do wrong things like not understanding why internet connections are not safe for voting machines, so let's address that. There was just as much outrage over how humans handled ballots as there was over voting machines. Based on my own decades of experience with using computers to collect and report data, for speed, accuracy, and consistency, I will opt for computers over humans every time. Go ahead and have the last word.
      October 23, 2022 8:12 AM MDT

So why is the SoS Hobbs (also candidate  for AZ Governor) opposed to having the machine count and also the human count to verify each other?  As you said both can be inaccurate. 
      October 23, 2022 4:05 PM MDT

But Trump and his supporters being butthurt about losing is no reason to reinvent the wheel.
      October 23, 2022 4:07 PM MDT

Not talking about reinventing the wheel. 

Just wanting to drive the car rather than have a self driving car. (I do not trust them either) 
      October 23, 2022 5:39 PM MDT

I can't speak for Hobbs. But, I  will reiterate.  Machines do what humans tell them to. They are not the problem. This post was edited by Jane S at October 23, 2022 5:16 PM MDT
      October 23, 2022 4:15 PM MDT

We can agree on that machines  do what people tell them to do....
    This is why we need oversight of the machines because some human told them what to do. And any country/city/state who's citizens want to verify with humans the results of the machines should have that right. 
      October 23, 2022 4:30 PM MDT

But none of this would be happening if Trump hadn’t lost.
      October 23, 2022 5:17 PM MDT

This has been my position long before Trump ever ran...but yes, the shenanigans that were pulled in 2020 only intensified my position on election processes. 
      October 23, 2022 5:24 PM MDT