Active Now

Randy D
Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » How many old TV shows now have a disclaimer before they air?

How many old TV shows now have a disclaimer before they air?

I just seen this before an episode of Gilligan's Island.  

Gilligan's Island was made in the '60s.
It includes outdated language and cultural stereotypes. 

Posted - November 7, 2022

Responses

Not sure. But this reminded me of a Gilligan's Island episode were a WW2 Japanese soldier landed on the Island in a mini sub. He talked in a stereo type voice and said things like - do you think I am good Rooking. Cheers!
      November 7, 2022 7:30 AM MST

I don't remember that one. 
      November 7, 2022 5:38 PM MST

It was a pretty funny episode even if it had a bit of stereo type thinking. Cheers!
      November 7, 2022 5:51 PM MST

Quite a few of the Disney + classics now do. The ethnic stereotyping in Fantasia is obvious, particularly the centaurs - the black one is a donkey AND a boot black. Eleven of the Looney Tunes cartoons were banned altogether.
      November 7, 2022 8:29 AM MST

It was the first time I noticed a disclaimer.  
    I have not seen one in front of Archie Bunker or George Jefferson. 
      November 7, 2022 5:35 PM MST

If you think Archie and George need a disclaimer,  you have missed the point of the show.  They were often called out for their views,  which were not polically correct at the time.
      November 7, 2022 7:16 PM MST

Thank you.  :)

Yes, Archie was very often called out, and often in the best of subtle, loving ways by Edith. And, to me, most of the time she wasn't even trying to call him out - - she was just being a truly loving human being who loved people. God, I love Edith. She remains one of my two favorite fictional characters. And, to me, she was perfectly played by Jean Stapleton.   :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 9, 2022 8:37 AM MST
      November 7, 2022 7:39 PM MST

Do you think Gilligan's Island needs a disclaimer?  I do not think any of them need it. People can watch what they want...if the show says/does something they do not like....change the channel. 
      November 8, 2022 6:07 AM MST

Perhaps the disclaimer simply is advising the viewer that whoever is airing the program does not necessarily agree with how certain things are portrayed or that the viewer may not want to watch. We have content warnings for violence, drug use, language, nudity, etc. This provides a choice to the viewer prior to watching. I can't imagine why you object to the disclaimer.  There is so much content out there, it must be helpful for parents of young children to be able to choose what values they want their kids to learn from TV and movies. 
      November 8, 2022 9:14 AM MST

Of course, that why the disclaimer is there.  

If Gilligand's Island needs one.....the Archie and George certainly need one.   Even if they are "called out" in the show...the "outdated language" is still there, and the "cultural stereotypes" are still there. 
      November 8, 2022 3:10 PM MST