Active Now

Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Language » What words do people in your region use that people in other regions might not understand?

What words do people in your region use that people in other regions might not understand?

I just learned that parking ramp is just the Minnesota term for parking garage.  Some other Minnesota words are hotdish, bars, juicy lucy,  cheesehead, and cake eater. These words are used all the time, not just by a few people. Do you know what they mean?

Posted - February 26, 2023

Responses

Fair dinkum, your china should have sucked his/her scone in. They're not worth a zac if they don't say "cobber" properly.
      February 27, 2023 8:20 PM MST

Food-related items:

Tavern  It’s loose ground beef (not a patty) on a hamburger bun.

Chislic  It’s small chunks of pan-fried steak, usually served as an appetizer.

Scotcheroo  It’s a peanut butter and chocolate chip Rice Krispie.

Hotdish  It’s what the rest of the country calls a casserole.

Cannibal Meat  It’s raw ground beef mixed with chopped onions and chopped pickles.  I won’t retell the gross story again about what happened after my half-brother ate it.  There’s a reason why eating raw ground beef isn’t recommended.  This is a dish I’ll never touch.

Pop  Soft drinks are universally referred to as pop here.  I-39 in Wisconsin and Illinois is the Soda Pop Highway.  Generally, it’s called pop west of I-39 and soda east of I-39, but not always.

This post was edited by Livvie at March 7, 2023 9:22 PM MST
      February 27, 2023 7:52 PM MST

I've heard that all carbonated drinks are referred to as "coke" in Florida, which must seriously tick off PepsiCo.
      February 27, 2023 8:22 PM MST

Peeps in the Atlanta also call it 'Coke'. But they aren't allowed to drink anything else anyway. This post was edited by Element 99 at December 18, 2023 5:27 PM MST
      February 28, 2023 1:11 PM MST

December 18, 2023 3:41 PM MST

Good ones. Although hotdish and pop are also Minnesota words.  I'm surprised I had never heard the others, what with us being neighbors.
      February 27, 2023 8:53 PM MST

I’ve heard all of your examples except cake-eater.  I’ll ask my cousins who live in Minnesota about that one.  I’m assuming the bar you’re talking about is the snack or dessert.  I also have family who live in Wisconsin, so definitely some cheeseheads there.
    This post was edited by Livvie at December 18, 2023 5:17 PM MST
      February 27, 2023 9:09 PM MST

Yes, bars are cookies baked in a sheet pan and cut into squares. Cake eaters are people who are well off. It can be an insult, but I've generally only heard it used in a teasing way. 
      February 27, 2023 9:27 PM MST

Q-tips = older people with gray/white hair

I grew up in Southern IL so it was soda but if we drove north to Rockford IL to visit family, we quickly learned they call it POP. If you ask in the store where the SODA is they would send you to the baking soda. 

March 1, 2023 6:12 AM MST

I stayed with my parents for a few days over Christmas. They still live in Stoke-on-Trent, my birthplace. We decided we would like to go see a movie together and the one we chose was "Wonka". But we had to decide whether to see it at the Odeon or at the Pictureville, since both had screenings at similar times. My mother proposed the Odeon because it was more accessible by car and "we wouldn't have to go all around the Wrekin" to get to the venue. I asked her if this was a local expression and she said she was surprised I hadn't heard it before. The Wrekin is a pointy, steep-sided hill, located about 30 miles from Stoke-on-Trent in an adjacent county, and is a prominent local landmark.
      December 29, 2023 5:08 PM MST