Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Language » What words do people in your region use that people in other regions might not understand?

What words do people in your region use that people in other regions might not understand?

I just learned that parking ramp is just the Minnesota term for parking garage.  Some other Minnesota words are hotdish, bars, juicy lucy,  cheesehead, and cake eater. These words are used all the time, not just by a few people. Do you know what they mean?

Posted - February 26, 2023

Responses

My grandmother was born and raised in a rural setting, she never referred to a kitchen faucet as such, it was known as a hydrant, there was a distinct difference between dinner and supper, and the former was sometimes called vittles. A bank account was called a passbook, because when she was young, that was the book used to keep track of your balance. When you asked someone to give you a ride, or if someone took you somewhere in a vehicle, the verb was “carry”, as in “Jimmy, since you’re going that way anyway, can you carry me to the post office?”  Or, “If the bus to Tildeville doesn‘t carry me close enough to the center of town, I’ll call a taxi to carry me there.”

An unspecified amount of money that you kept on your person for emergencies was “car fare”, according to my mother. My aunt always refers to a purse as a pocketbook. I always thought a pocketbook was a woman’s wallet that went inside the purse, but my aunt called it differently. When I was growing up, the phrase “your folks” specifically referred to your parents.

Also, we always said “soda pop”, not “soda”. When I joined the Marine Corps at age 18, the fellows heard me say “soda pop” and almost burst their collective spleens laughing at me. I learned in an instant to never refer to it as anything other than soda for the rest of my life. 

Here locally in San Diego, right next to Mexico, many people who grew up with Spanish as either their primary  language, or it was a prominent language throughout their upbringing, use the phrase “What  happened”? when they actually mean “what’s going on?” or “what do you mean” or “what did you/he/she say?” They also say, “When you get down from the car” as opposed to “When you get out of the car.”

Almost any US location outside of California, Oregon , and Washington state is referred to as “back East”, especially by people who migrated from those areas to the West Coast.

February 26, 2023 7:26 PM MST

I heard term 'carry' when I was in Mississippi. That was a long time ago, so I can't say if I heard the other terms there.  As for soft drinks, Minnesotans call it 'pop' and we can tell Wisconsinites (aka Cheeseheads), by their use of the word 'soda'. We may not typically say 'back East', but you're hear 'up North' used a lot to refer to any part of the state farher north than the speaker. It can be used interchangeably with 'the lake' as in 'we're spending the weekend at the lake'. Minnesotans love their cabins on the lake up north. 
      February 26, 2023 7:54 PM MST

In Caribbean countries like Jamaica, Trinidad, and St. Vincent and the Grenadines, carry is common vernacular. You carry people and walk with things. “It’s supposed to rain. Make sure you walk with an umbrella when you carry your children to school.”
      February 26, 2023 9:44 PM MST

Southerners use the word carry when we drive someone someplace.  I have tried to stop doing it but I still hear myself every now and again mention carrying a person somewhere. 
      February 28, 2023 9:27 AM MST

Having been raised in upstate New York near the Mass. border, we used "soda" to refer to a soft drink. However, not far over the border in Mass. our cousins used the word "pop".

My father used the word "vittles". I thought he was referring to food in general, like "It's a long trip, we'll have to stop for vittles along the way." He never explained exactly what it meant.

For us, the words purse and pocketbook were interchangeable. I got the impression that this may not have been so in past generations.  According to Etymonline.com "pocketbook (n.) also pocket-book, 1610s, originally a small book meant to be carried in one's pocket, from pocket (n.) + book (n.). Meaning "a flexible booklike leather folder for papers, bills, etc." is from 1722. Meaning "a woman's purse" is from 1816."
      February 27, 2023 12:14 AM MST

What town? My mother grew up in Schenectady and my best college buddy grew up in Chatham.

We had a weekend house in West Stockbridge for about 40 years, and my parents are buried in Pittsfield.
      December 20, 2023 6:11 PM MST

I think they were laughing because “soda pop” is a cop-out in the Soda Pop Wars.  They wanted you to pick one side or the other, preferably their side. 
      February 27, 2023 7:55 PM MST

I’m completely unfamiliar with what you mean by The Soda Pop War. If it’s something that existed prior to the year I went to boot camp, 19__, then it might have relevance to what I’ve stated above. If The Soda Pop War refers to a more recent occurrence, especially a recent pop culture one, I’m lost and at a loss.
      ~

December 18, 2023 5:26 PM MST

I was referring to people who argue with each other about soda versus pop.  It’s a constant battle with some people.
      December 20, 2023 5:50 AM MST

Owe, eye sea watt ewe mint. Thanks.
      ~

December 20, 2023 4:17 PM MST

After making a fist and raising an arm in the air - boaters will shout "Up The Chuck" as they pass each other while they boat up the Strait of Georgia. The Strait of Georgia is sometimes called the Chuck and  saying up the chuck  is like saying fair sailing. Cheers!
      February 26, 2023 8:34 PM MST

This is Brooklyn. Fuhgeddaboudit!
      February 26, 2023 9:48 PM MST

Around here, the regional name for a dressed walleye is walleyed pike. They are not pike.
    Only a few here would know about Mudhens. This post was edited by Element 99 at February 27, 2023 7:07 PM MST
      February 27, 2023 7:08 AM MST

Not sure those qualify. There's some connection between Walleyes and pike, but I'm not sure if they are in the same family or what. Also the Mudhens are like the Saints, a team not a regional expression.
      February 27, 2023 6:26 PM MST

Many here think they are pike. Different genus. Mudhens are an icon here. Surprised you know of them.
      February 27, 2023 7:16 PM MST

Walleyed pike is on the menu at the restaurant at the truck stop near me, so we have it here too.

February 27, 2023 7:16 PM MST

Top is the walleye and bottom is the pike.

February 28, 2023 1:05 PM MST

Neutral zone - roadway median.  New Orleans

Cracker -- a native Floridian.  Florida

February 27, 2023 11:06 AM MST

Never heard that first one.
      February 27, 2023 6:17 PM MST

It's from Star Treck.
      December 18, 2023 9:40 AM MST

You mean, like, cevabdzinica?
      February 27, 2023 4:12 PM MST

Probably not. I should have specified English words. Unless that is English?  :)
      February 27, 2023 6:18 PM MST

Strewth, cobber.
      February 27, 2023 4:47 PM MST

An Australian friend called me colbert once and I still don't know if I  should have been offended. :)
      February 27, 2023 6:19 PM MST