Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why don't more states do this?

Why don't more states do this?

San Francisco's school district is turning to a herd of goats to help with wildfire prevention efforts.

• Goat grazing is one of the easiest ways to address the overgrowth that can lead to fires, as goats can eat weeds and a range of invasive brush that other animals cannot, Genevieve Church, executive director of nonprofit City Grazing, told Axios San Francisco co-author Megan Rose Dickey.

https://mail.yahoo.com/b/folders/1/messages/AOruqbg2ch0aZAZPaA5byK3jgBI?.src=ym&reason=myc&folderType=INBOX&offset=0&unblockNow=false

Not only is it environmentally friendly, you don't have to pay goats or give them perks or sign on bonuses.  It's a heck of a lot less costly to do this than fight all those fires that are so destructive.

Posted - March 6, 2023

Responses

Goats are arguably the very worst culprits when it comes to environmental degradation. The Sahara was only semi-arid in term of rainfall, until goats overgrazed it. When the "invasive" species are being consumed, they also eat everything else, they're as bad as locusts. 
    "Operation Bounceback" in South Australia's Flinders Ranges included a massive cull of feral animals, mostly goats and cats (calicivirus took care of most of the rabbits). The reintroduction of bilbies and quolls would have been pointless otherwise.
      March 6, 2023 4:01 PM MST

This would certainly help in California where there is so much brush that acts as tinder for forest fires.  
      March 7, 2023 8:20 AM MST

Sounds like they are a real asset. 
      March 6, 2023 5:39 PM MST

It's a win-win all the way around.
      March 7, 2023 8:19 AM MST

I’m not exactly sure how new or innovative this program is or this type of program is supposed to be: at least 15 or 20 years ago, I heard of goats and/or other animals being used for similar purposes. The only problem is that I can’t remember where it was taking place.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at March 7, 2023 8:44 AM MST
      March 6, 2023 5:49 PM MST

I've heard of it before as well, but it doesn't seem to have taken off in a big way.  It's a great idea.
      March 7, 2023 8:18 AM MST