Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Should we risk losing control of our civilization?

Should we risk losing control of our civilization?

Hello:

In an open letter, 1,100 Artificial Intelligence heavyweights, including Elon Musk, called for a moratorium on state-of-the-art AI development. 

They ask: Should we let machines flood our information channels with propaganda and untruth? Should we automate away all the jobs, including the fulfilling ones? Should we develop nonhuman minds that might eventually outnumber, outsmart, make us obsolete and replace us? 

They write: AI systems with human-competitive intelligence can pose profound risks to society and humanity, and could change the history of life on Earth.

https://futureoflife.org/open-letter/pause-giant-ai-experiments/

excon

Posted - March 29, 2023

Responses

Ooooh! I get to answer first.

"Should we"... I won't live long enough to worry about it. Simple.
      March 29, 2023 11:11 AM MDT

It makes me think if society had been asked, back in the day, "Should we risk introducing automobile transportation into society?" Was there any stopping it? It happened regardless, with all the positive and negative (plenty of negative) aspects involved to society and the environment.
      March 29, 2023 11:37 AM MDT

I completely agree that AI, while having a positive effect in some areas, will have a deleterious effect in others.  AI may allow surgeons and doctors to better diagnose, treat and perform surgery, but in too many other areas, its effect will be horrific.  There are too many people now who don't use their brains - can you imagine what zombies we will become if we abdicate thought to some AI machine.  The possibility of not knowing or being able to determine truth from fiction is a problem now and it can only get worse.  If AI takes over our jobs, how will we survive?  
      March 29, 2023 11:18 AM MDT

I agree, we should stop it. 
      March 29, 2023 12:15 PM MDT

Well I don't think us humans climbed down out of the trees to let some stupid AI program get the best of us. We built AI so we can control or destroy it. Laws to stop AI machines  from flooding our information channels with propaganda and untruth would be good. Company's that want to get rid of workers and replace them with AI can be boycotted.  
      March 29, 2023 1:13 PM MDT

I think of all the jobs that were eliminated during my career just at my workplace: mail clerks, telephone operators, statistical typists, word processing, and more. And yet, we have a labor shortage. Just as I adapted my skill set during my work years, the next generation will as well.
      March 29, 2023 1:43 PM MDT

AL is only as good as the data it receives and humans control that. Humans possess skills that can't be input into AI, such as creativity and critical thinking. Every innovation that will change how work is performed has met resistance, but somehow we adapt. Yes, we need to develop protocols to monitor how it's used, but I don't think it will take over civilization. Just ask Siri or Alexa. :)
      March 29, 2023 1:37 PM MDT

Humanity lost control over its own destiny decades ago. AI is a symptom, not the cause. The wealth gap is an immense factor.
      March 29, 2023 5:53 PM MDT

Shut it down.............twenty years ago, please.
      March 31, 2023 10:17 AM MDT