Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » What are some of your favorite books (or favorite book topics) that were originally published outside of your country?

What are some of your favorite books (or favorite book topics) that were originally published outside of your country?

~

Posted - April 9, 2023

Responses

The Holy Bible
      April 9, 2023 10:39 AM MDT

Back in the day, I read many Norah Lofts, British author of historical fiction.

Since the 1990s, I've been reading almost exclusively non-fiction. I started with June Goodfield's "Quest for the Killers" (chasing the source of diseases from New Guinea to the United States).Then I started reading several books written by medical examiners and spread out from there.

June Goodfield, also British.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3307653-quest-for-the-killers

As mentioned in a previous post, I'm reading "Writing the Siege of Leningrad". The authors are Americans (although, one is a survivor of the Siege) but the contents are from the diaries and letters of the women of Leningrad.

September 20, 1941 "They say the Germans have dropped leaflets: We're giving you a respite until the 21st; if you do not surrender, we will grind you to a pulp. It's unclear whom they are addressing. We common people are a negligible quantity. As for Stalin, he has been grinding us to a pulp for the past twenty years. He detests Leningrad--no one here has known him or seen him since the Revolution."

This post was edited by NYAD at February 9, 2024 5:13 PM MST
      April 9, 2023 12:17 PM MDT

Most of them. Very little is published in Australia first.
      April 9, 2023 6:36 PM MDT

I think all of John Wyndham's books were originally published outside "my" country.
    And I truly love all of Wyndham's books. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 9, 2024 9:52 PM MST
      February 9, 2024 5:13 PM MST