Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Guess who might be in big trouble?

Guess who might be in big trouble?

You will never guess so I will just tell you - it is Donald Trump.
The National Archives Is Set to Hand Over Damning Evidence in Trump’s Classified-Docs Case. The government appears to have proof Trump knew he couldn’t just declassify documents by taking them out of the White House. In a letter sent to Trump on Tuesday, NARA’s acting archivist Debra Steidel Wall wrote, “The 16 records in question all reflect communications involving close presidential advisers, some of them directed to you personally, concerning whether, why, and how you should declassify certain classified records.” I think Trump will still claim it is all a witch hunt and ever one is out to get him. Cheers!

Posted - May 19, 2023

Responses

So if I am reading this correctly, the NARA is having a fit over "classified" doctuments about declassifing doctuments...

As President he had authority to declassify what he wanted.  Advisors can advise but they do not get to tell the President "whether or why" he can do. It is a direct authority given to the President and only the President has this level of authority.  
      May 19, 2023 6:28 PM MDT

He might of had the power to declassify documents but there are steps that have to be followed. Trump did not follow the steps he just took things with out informing anybody. He also took documents that were not supposed to leave the WH. Anyway soon we will see that Trump didn't have the power to do what ever he wanted. Cheers!
      May 19, 2023 6:42 PM MDT

That is just it....I have heard many experts say there actually is not a specific way a POTUS has to declassify something.  They can and have done it verbally, just by saying it.  

NBCWashington: Sitting presidents do have “unilateral and complete authority" to declassify material....
      May 19, 2023 8:04 PM MDT

You do have to say it, TO someone, WHILE in office. You can't just do it by thinking it. The man is also a kleptomaniac. Or a toddler - "I want it, so it's mine". That kind of behaviour isn't to be tolerated in a two-year-old, never mind from a grandfather.
      May 20, 2023 12:12 AM MDT

You do realize it was WH staff who packed and sent the doctuments to Maralago,  if Trump was not allowed to have them then WH staff should have sent them to NARA. 
      May 20, 2023 5:01 AM MDT

Nice attempt at deflection, but it won't wash - those staff were working under direct orders from Trump or someone directly authorised by Trump. They packed exactly what they were told to. Have you ever been a civil servant? You're not paid to think. Like a private in the military, you do what you're told, when you're told to do it, or you're fired/cashiered.
      May 20, 2023 5:25 AM MDT

If it was illegal to send them to Maralago,  WH staff should not have sent them..
    They did so it must not have been illegal for Trump to have the possession of the papers. 
    So if an outgoing President is not allowed to keep any papers then NARA should have their people in the offices packing the doctuments themselves and not WH staffers.

If we are going to charge Trump, then we also charge Biden (not a president and had classified docts), Obama, Pence, Hillary, and any other who has docts they are not supposed to have.   
      May 20, 2023 6:21 AM MDT

I don't think the old "the butler did it" excuse is going to stand up in court. Cheers and happy weekend!
      May 20, 2023 9:28 AM MDT

If it is so important of an issue, they need to streamline the process and send staff from NARA to the WH to pack the papers.  This is an issue with every POTUS as they leave office, as they have said all of them have ended up with papers at there residences.  
    So as I said, either arrest them all or shut up about it. 
      May 20, 2023 9:44 AM MDT

I don't think the old "what about" excuse will hold up in court either. Other presidents might of brought documents home with them. But Trump holds the record for the most documents taking and the record for working the hardest at trying to hide those documents from the archives and the American people. He also probably holds the record for the self-incrimination award. There were many times Trump publicly stated that he had every right to take and keep the documents. Cheers and happy weekend!
      May 20, 2023 10:41 AM MDT

No only that, but the others returned the documents when they were requested.  Trump had to be subpoenaed and the FBI had to invade his home to get them back.  Even then, there were documents that were found after the FBI's visit.
      May 20, 2023 11:49 AM MDT

I think the most alarming is that there were empty folders found. Bet they weren't empty before they got to mar-a-logo. So what happened to them? Cheers and happy weekend!
      May 20, 2023 1:28 PM MDT

*looks around*

Uh oh.

I had a feeling that something just wasn’t quite right about that origami class I signed up for at Mar-a-Lago.

May 20, 2023 7:34 PM MDT

I doubt we'll ever know.  Enjoy your weekend. :)
      May 21, 2023 7:27 AM MDT

There is both equal protection defense and selective prosecution as a defense in court.
      May 20, 2023 2:25 PM MDT

My older kids think that’s a defense.   In my house, that defense doesn’t get them out of trouble but it does get their sibling in trouble after an investigation from Mom or Dad because fairness is important.  I guess they’ll learn eventually.

However, the country just isn’t run like my house.  If it were, Donald Trump would still be in trouble over the documents but we’d also be rummaging through the houses and offices of Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter for any of their remaining documents.
      May 20, 2023 3:58 PM MDT

The courts have already set the precident that the leaving President can decide what is and what is not personal papers and items.  With a Bill Clinton case,  Clinton had recording of interviews he did with an book author  stored in his sock drawer.  A group (I cannot remember the name) filled out a Freedom of Information Act request to listen to them.  The court ruled that because Clinton took them home they we not gov property and not subject to the FOIA request. 

But absolutely, if you prosecute one person for a crime, legally they should have to prosecute any others who they know are also guilty. 

May 20, 2023 5:04 PM MDT

The interview tapes were NOT classified.
      May 20, 2023 7:12 PM MDT

Again, as President Trump had the power to declassify and also as President he did not have to go through the same processes that lower offices are required to follow.   The courts have ruled the President has the power to determine what is and is not personal items....there is no case.  There is long standing precedence for both. 
      May 21, 2023 6:04 AM MDT

You should repost that clip of George W. Bush accidentally admitting that the invasion of Iraq was unjustified and brutal. Priceless! 
      May 20, 2023 9:10 PM MDT

May 20, 2023 9:42 PM MDT