Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What are your thoughts on living in a 55 and older community (such as The Villages in Florida)?

What are your thoughts on living in a 55 and older community (such as The Villages in Florida)?

Posted - June 1, 2023

Responses

Look at you......displaying common sense.  I approve!
      June 2, 2023 4:50 PM MDT

Nope. Those places usually have a "no pets" rule and generally have dozens of other persnickety rules as well. I would never live in an area with a HOA, same reason.
      June 1, 2023 6:48 PM MDT

I am not old enough so no.  Even if I was I would not like living in a crowded area. 
      June 2, 2023 5:25 AM MDT

Well my thoughts on living in a 55 and older community are will I still be able to wear my Ramone's t-shirt. We will be living in that kind of community this Monday. Cheers!
      June 2, 2023 11:15 AM MDT

Good luck and good health in your new digs. Cheers!
      June 2, 2023 12:42 PM MDT

As a matter of fact, I've spent this week researching such accommodations in my area. Both my daughter and myself are somewhat restricted by living on a second floor. The stairs have become too difficult for both of us. Even my daughter is over 55 now. So, I'm looking forward to some relief soon!
      June 2, 2023 4:38 PM MDT

I’m not 55 yet, but the idea doesn’t suit me.  My F-I-L lived in an overpriced retirement community in Florida before he disappeared.  

He loved it.  It was closely packed-together mobile homes as far as the eye could see down the perfecly straight and narrow road baking in the 100 degree heat with an 80 degree dew point on a perfectly cloudless midsummer day.

He really loved the city where the retirement community is located.  He said that kids have absolutely nothing to do and the police do a really good job of not letting the teenagers congregate.  Yes, he said that like it was a good thing.  To each their own.

The last time he saw him he was living near Boston.  He absolutely hated it.  He did nothing but complain about it.  Why?  If I had to live in a city, I would love it there.  It was such a lovely neighborhood with old houses.

June 3, 2023 7:51 PM MDT