Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Are you willing to rent out a room in your home to an illegal alien if the gov pays the rent?

Are you willing to rent out a room in your home to an illegal alien if the gov pays the rent?

What could go wrong?

Posted - June 6, 2023

Responses

The question is not businesses. It is  about people with a spare room. 

No one is better or worse than these people....that is also not the point. 

So are going to pony up any empty rooms you have? 
      June 7, 2023 6:27 PM MDT

Ponying up is an incorrect term which implies paying a price or giving a thing away. In such a case, the homeowner would be compensated for the occupancy.

Why do you assume anyone would not be a respectful and quiet boarder or tenant based on their immigration status?
      June 7, 2023 6:35 PM MDT

One who doesn't respect a country's border is how likely to respect an individual citizen?
      June 7, 2023 6:44 PM MDT

You are not considering the reasons people might have for crossing into the US. Many seek refuge from political or religious persecution, violent regimes, starvation, and other existential threats.

DI’d you know, for example, that US immigration policies and quotas in the 1930s and 194Os kept hundreds of thousands of eastern European Jews from being saved from the Holocaust and condemned them to death in Hitler’s ovens and gas chambers?

The US historically has welcomed and provided safe harbor for “your tired, poor, and huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” It says so on the Statue of Liberty.

Being xenophobic and blocking or turning away anyone trying to immigrate by any means is un-American beyond words.

Those who think this way and support Trump deserve what they get.
      June 7, 2023 7:02 PM MDT

Stu, I agree with your views and belive that we should provide refuge to those who need it. But, it is a myth that the US has always welcomed immigrants. In fact, xenophobia and turning away immigrants is sadly, very much American. Immigrants were often exploited and discriminated against. I'd like to think we evolved and become more compassionate, but that is clearly not the case. 
      June 8, 2023 6:29 PM MDT

That was my point in the example I gave of immigration policies and quotas during the Holocaust. Hundreds of thousands of Jews and others died as a direct result of the quotas.
      June 8, 2023 8:02 PM MDT

The first thing they did in this country was so break the law by entering illegally....
      June 7, 2023 7:00 PM MDT

Read my response to Thriftymaid above and think again. Put yourself in the shoes of people desperately trying to save their families’ lives.
      June 7, 2023 7:05 PM MDT

Come legally.
      June 7, 2023 7:09 PM MDT

Some people don't have time, and we should never again be responsible for anyone dying because they were turned away at the border.
      June 7, 2023 7:49 PM MDT

So we just should have no border at all?  I simply do not agree with this.  And most countries also disagree with this as well. 
      June 8, 2023 3:28 PM MDT

The US must NEVER be responsible for ANYONE dying or being persecuted because they were deported or turned away at the border.

Ethical and moral imperative. Period. End of story.
      June 8, 2023 5:32 PM MDT

So you propose NO borders?  Or just what is your solution?
      June 8, 2023 7:50 PM MDT

No, just more compassion than some people are capable of.
      June 8, 2023 8:04 PM MDT

So who stays and who get removed?  We have a process for refugees and asylum seekers. Why should someone who crossed illegally be rewarded and allowed to stay when there are others in the same or maybe worse situation who are doing it correctly and waiting for permission to legally come to the country?  
      June 8, 2023 9:06 PM MDT

No. I have lived on my own for too many years, I need my own space. I would be uneasy about having a stranger living under my roof. We would get on each other's nerves and I wouldn't be able to sleep. If I were allowed to accommodate him or her in my garden shed or other outbuilding, I might consider it.

But would I reject this person as a potential lodger just because they'd entered my country illegally? Maybe, maybe not - it would depend on their reasons for coming here, their age, and a host of other factors. This post was edited by Reverend Muhammadovsky at June 8, 2023 2:23 PM MDT
      June 8, 2023 11:32 AM MDT

I have refused to work someone who was not legal...it is not legal for me to work them.  I would not rent to anyone in my home....legal or not. But the illegal part makes it certain. 
      June 8, 2023 2:36 PM MDT

No.  it's not about the money. 
      June 8, 2023 5:05 PM MDT

Exactly. 
      June 9, 2023 5:34 AM MDT

I don't have a spare room, the place is crowded already. Legal or not, alien or not, I'd need to hang anybody extra from a hook in the ceiling.
      June 8, 2023 7:17 PM MDT

But if you had room....
      June 9, 2023 5:35 AM MDT

Your "don't have a spare room" reminded me of the Russian "communal apartments", a subject not related in any way to the subject of this post (up to four pages yet!! But then the whole post is based on conjecture, so why not?).

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/05/20/314054405/how-russias-shared-kitchens-helped-shape-soviet-politics

Anna Matveevna came to this communal apartment in St. Petersburg in 1931, when she was 8 years old.
      June 9, 2023 8:34 AM MDT

Actually,  the question is based on an idea that the Mayor of New York is proposing.  Not just something I made up.  He is wants to do it. 
      June 9, 2023 9:36 AM MDT

Something someone made up.
      June 9, 2023 9:51 AM MDT

The MAYOR of New York is proposing this plan....it is not made up. He has authority to try and get this into effect.
      June 9, 2023 11:08 AM MDT