Active Now

Spunky
RebeccaSJ
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Do you think that it is acceptable to lie on a job or loan application if you know you can do the job or repay the loan?

Do you think that it is acceptable to lie on a job or loan application if you know you can do the job or repay the loan?

Why or why not? This is not about whether your lie will be caught.

Posted - September 29, 2023

Responses

A very wise man once said - if you believe it then it is not a lie - and that man was George Costanza from Seinfeld.

I have gotton a few needed jobs by telling a lie or 2 on job applications. Maybe if I didn't need the jobs I woudn't of lied. So that might be aceptable. Cheers and happy weekend! 

This post was edited by Nanoose at September 30, 2023 2:09 PM MDT
      September 29, 2023 3:03 PM MDT

Thanks for your honest answer.
      September 29, 2023 7:07 PM MDT

No, it is not. 

Believing the value of something is higher or lower than others think it is....is not a crime.  It is an opinion and for a loan if the lender is using that property to evaluate a possible client.  It is the lender who should place the value on the property. Not simply take the amount from the borrower.  That is bad business on the lenders part. Appraisers are used for a reason. If the loan was was small enough say $250k and it is known that the borrower owns several things many worth easily worth more then $250k....does it matter to the lender if the borrower believes the value to be more than the lender does? If it does matter to the lender then it is the lender job to get an appraisal.  

It is not illegal to give incorrect information to 3rd parties..ie Forbes, Google, or others. 

As for a job, again it is the possible employer's responsibility to check the application information.   

But in  any case, if the lender nor the employer have not filed a complaint, the gov should not come in a waste time and resources on these things. Because John Smith made the mayor mad, does not mean the mayor gets to find a reason to arrest borrower/employee John Smith.  
      September 30, 2023 4:52 AM MDT

It appears you are either completely brainwashed or lack the critical thinking skills to understand what has been explained to you over and over by myself and others.

Attesting to the accuracy of financial statements that you know are fraudulent in order to deceive a bank into giving you a loan or giving you a more favorable interest rate IS a crime.

Blaming the victim is not a defense for criminal activity.  And the bank may have violated the law as well. By not properly securing its loans, it can put the banking industry at risk. Its depositors are at risk. Other businesses are at a disadvantage because they are denied loans or pay higher interest rates.

Square footage and comparable values are not subjective. Restrictions and regulations on property use are not subjective.

An Attorney General is supposed to act on behalf of the citizens. Bank fraud doesn't just affect the bank. 

You can waste your time responding, but it's not going to change anyone's mind. This post was edited by Jane S at September 30, 2023 2:11 PM MDT
      September 30, 2023 6:19 AM MDT

The lawsuit is asking for $250M fine.  James says that is the amount that Trumps benefited in these cases.   Do you believe Trump does not have much more than that in assets?   If I do a job for someone at their home and I know the home is much more valuable than the cost of the job, I do not need to do an appraisal to establish that even it the home owner believes the house is worth much more than I or other think it is.   

Appraisals are opinions, get 10 appraisals and you will get 10 different values.   Again, if the values matter to the lenders at the time of the loans then it is their responsibility to have an appraiser of their choosing do an appraisal for them.  
      September 30, 2023 8:44 AM MDT

It's like talking to a wall. You live in the same fantasy as Trump.
      September 30, 2023 9:02 AM MDT

I know the feeling.....
      September 30, 2023 9:11 AM MDT

I think there are a lot of grey areas to this question.

I was once hired as the head grounds keeper at an estate that was owned by a cousin to the Queen of England. I was hired because the Lady of the House figered that I was the kind of man that knew the difference between a pixie and a fairy. At that time I didn't - but during the interveiw when I was asked about it I didn't say if I do or  I didn't. I just jokinly said - well dosn't everybody know the differance between a pixie and a fairy? Then we had our first royal laugh together. As far as the knowing that I could do the job - I really didn't but I acepted the job then did a curtsey  and left the room (lying about the curtsey part). 

When Mrs. Milner died she left her property to the University of BC and they made it into a public garden walk type of thing so I included a link. Cheers and happy weekend! 

https://milnergardens.viu.ca/
      September 30, 2023 10:25 AM MDT