Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » How do I get the rest of the house power back on?

How do I get the rest of the house power back on?

I just played my computer in the room, then the power goes out along with radio in that room-and the other side of that wall, but it's still getting power in the kitchen room, & after I plug in the heating fan on other end of the wall in living room & got it running, which is next to kitchen room, then heating fan stopped working as that socket lost power too.
And how do I get the power back in & running in the room with the computer & radio, & to the end of the living room wall too?

Posted - November 9, 2023

Responses

Turn the circuit breaker switch back on.  If it stays on, no problem.  If you keep tripping the circuit breaker, you’re either overloading the circuit or you have a wiring problem.  If it’s that, you’ll have to call an electrician.
      November 9, 2023 9:37 AM MST

Can you show me the picture of inside the circuit box that shows the example of turning on the circuit breaker switch; & another picture of that showing the tripping of the circuit breaker?
      November 10, 2023 4:45 PM MST

You don't need anyone to do this for you.  You're a big boy, just search for "circuit breaker" This post was edited by Spunky at November 12, 2023 10:11 PM MST
      November 11, 2023 6:56 AM MST

Danny, it’s this simple.

November 11, 2023 8:31 AM MST

Is that called one tripping-to one of the circuit switch he just did?
      November 11, 2023 7:01 PM MST

That's probably exactly what I did. I probably didn't get the exact right rooms to switch off & back on with; as the names of rooms are printed by the switches in the circuit box.
      November 13, 2023 4:42 PM MST

Do you think the Apple computer, lamp & portable heating fan might take so much power if these are plugged in one unit, or all in the whole computer room?

And then is there any way to upgrade the house electricity from like 20 amps & raise to like 30 amps? If can't, as from the basement circuit box switch printed or engraved only as 20 amps, or to look for any other houses or homes that have sockets that can or would have much more than 20 amps of power?
    If can't find it or if that will not happen, that's okay too.
      November 16, 2023 9:20 AM MST

When you say “unite” are you talking about a wall socket? If so then yeah – way too much power being drawn from one socket. Portable heaters should only be plugged into a wall socket all by them self’s And you should never use an electric extension cord with the heater. Cheers!

November 16, 2023 9:59 AM MST

Okay, I would really follow your instruction then!!! Cheers, & good luck!!!
      November 16, 2023 2:55 PM MST

I can say with almost 100% confidence that your heating fan is what’s overloading your circuits.  

No, you can’t reset your circuit breaker to trip at 30 A instead of 20 A.  You probably could if you were an expert at household electricity but even if you were, you shouldn’t.  

The max current is a function of potential difference.  If your mains electricity is 60 Hz and 120 V, the current is generally 20 A.  If your mains electricity is 50 Hz and 230 V, the current is generally 15 A.

If you somehow reset your circuit breaker to trip at 30 A, your insurance company would definitely deny your claim when your house burns down.  The investigators would know exactly what you did and you might also get prosecuted for arson.

I think you should just quit using the heating fan.
      November 16, 2023 11:48 AM MST

Then to that I see that only just put to 20 Amp visually in the circuit box-as in mind-tells me it's kept only to that!
    And then can you tell how much Amp/Hz/Volt the heating fan uses, & does that use more than Apple computer, & then how much Amp/Hz/Volt from Apple computer as well, so I can look over that whole information myself too!!!
    (Maybe just put every each for both)
      November 16, 2023 2:48 PM MST

In the US it’s always 60 Hz 120 V (60 Hz 240 V for large appliances such as ovens, washers and dryers).

The current (measured in amperes) that the appliance draws is what trips the circuit breaker.  Heating fans seem to be a pretty common culprit in overloading circuits but I guess it’s also possible to overload a circuit by plugging too many things into one one outlet and running them all at the same time though I never had that happen.
      November 16, 2023 3:00 PM MST

-As I would not attempt to do any Amp raising from the 20 Amp if I really did see those numbers printed just in there as now
    -then I would really understand the specific Amps given from that box!
      November 16, 2023 2:53 PM MST

Changing over to about 30 Amps could really cause a fire(in the house), right?
      November 16, 2023 2:56 PM MST

Even though my brother was a lineman, I’m in no way an expert at this stuff.  So, here is someone who is an expert in this stuff: https://ask-the-electrician.com/why-you-should-never-up-size-an-electrical-circuit-breaker-or-fuse/electrical-wiring-2/
      November 16, 2023 3:07 PM MST

Okay I will look at that later, and

Nothing to do with (electric or appliances) on this one:
    & couple of my other posts on this site, do You think you can try answer those for me if I tell you what those other couple threads are?
    Those probably never got answered yet.
      November 16, 2023 4:24 PM MST

Ask an adult to help with this.
      November 10, 2023 9:28 AM MST

He recently said he was in his mid-40s.  He IS an adult. :)
      November 10, 2023 9:34 AM MST

I probably could just go down in the basement, go in the circuit box, then switch off the desired room from in there, & switch it back on, but my parent would have us to maybe call the electrician instead-don't know all the rooms of the house that all match with each switches in the circuit box.
      November 10, 2023 6:36 PM MST

I’m thinking that your heating fan is the problem. They draw a lot of power plus they can be unsafe. Kitchens are usually on their own electric wire. So maybe if you have to use the potable heater plug it into a socket in the kitchen. Cheers and happy weekend!

November 10, 2023 2:34 PM MST

yeah, I guess the kitchen room has more socket power! Cheers and happy weekend!
      November 10, 2023 4:30 PM MST

As others have said, it sounds like you are throwing a breaker. Check the electric box and see if any need flipped back on.  If it keeps it up, try plugging the heater in a different circuit (one of the plugs working now). If it still throwing, your heater is probably going bad and pulling too much juice. 
      November 10, 2023 3:59 PM MST

Yeah, I just did use the different socket in the house for now
      November 10, 2023 4:31 PM MST

That was 4 months ago so have you sorted out the problem now?

The appliances you use will (or should!) have their power ratings marked on a label.

Although a.c. electricity is not easy when you start diving into such questions as impedance and inductance, and I don't pretend to know their mathematics, simply dividing that rated power in Watts by the mains voltage in Volts will at least approximate the current in Amperes; but some appliances can momentarily draw a higher current as they start.

Circuit-breakers are not normally made to be adjustable.

How is your house wired? Ring-mains or spurs? That may affect the maximum draw in any one room.

Do the appliance plugs have their own fuses of appropriate rating as a first-line defence? One of those breaking by overload will not necessarily stop the circuit-breaker tripping as well, but at least it shows the fault is within the appliance it served.
      March 15, 2024 5:04 PM MDT