Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Music » Do you have a favorite song you have never heard on the radio?

Do you have a favorite song you have never heard on the radio?

Posted - May 24

Responses

May 26, 2024 6:16 AM MDT

Children singing is a nice touch. (Oh, I hear adults, too, at times.)
      May 26, 2024 3:24 PM MDT

" I Wanted To Be Wrong"             R.E.M.

-- my very very favorite song by the group. It's off their "Around the Sun" album, my very favorite album by them.

(And from what I've read countless times in various sources, this album is considered, by both music critics and fans, as the group's worst album. Welby is out there again in his own wonderful universe. "I Wanted To Be Wrong" is more-than-beautiful to me.)

:)

(And Dylan is always worth listening to to me.)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 27, 2024 5:07 PM MDT
      May 26, 2024 3:22 PM MDT

I keep thinking of songs.

I love Christina Perri's voice so much and the songs she writes. It's unfathomable to me why others seem so much more famous than Perri.

Here's one of hers that I've not heard on the radio:

"Surrender"   

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 28, 2024 5:56 PM MDT
      May 27, 2024 1:30 PM MDT

"Nothing Left to Lose"     The Alan Parsons Project

May 27, 2024 1:35 PM MDT

"The Tide Is Turning (after Live Aid)"               Roger Waters    the last song on his superlative-to-me 'Radio KAOS' album

-- if anyone reading this doesn't know this song, I hope you can listen for the entire five-ish minutes.

I wish everyone  --  and I mean everyone -- in the world could listen to it.

It wonderfully begins and builds to a breathtaking beauty. 

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 27, 2024 5:08 PM MDT
      May 27, 2024 1:46 PM MDT

Cheap Tequila Johnny Winter
    https://youtu.be/nhDR1fogJog
    This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at May 27, 2024 5:27 PM MDT
      May 27, 2024 3:08 PM MDT

I liked that song. I liked the art images in the video, too.
      May 27, 2024 5:41 PM MDT

Good song.
      May 27, 2024 4:28 PM MDT

Glad you thought so.  :)
      May 27, 2024 5:27 PM MDT

My long search for any evidence of this song’s existence has proven fruitless, such to the point that I am beginning to doubt my sanity as to whether I invented it in my mind. Also, I don’t think it can truly be categorized as never having been played on radio stations, because I believe that’s the second source from which I remember it, the first source I believe to have been the original movie soundtrack, but I’m no longer sure of that now. To make matters more complicated, since I can’t find the song, I’m not exactly sure of its title, or, since I’m not exactly sure of its title, I can’t find the song. 

When the movie “Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome” was released in 1985, I remember hearing Tina Turner singing a song that included the lyrics line “fight fire with fire“. However, it doesn’t appear on the soundtrack, nor does it appear anywhere in Tina Turner’s long list of song releases. I can’t remember if I heard it during the closing credits as I sat in a movie theater (all my life, I had been one of those people who stay in the theater during the entire closing credits, never wanting to miss a thing, but that was ancient history; I haven’t been in a movie theater in about a decade now). Alternatively, I thought I may have heard it on radio stations too in the time period the movie was first-run box office gold.

I know for sure that Turner herself sang the version I heard, because of her distinctive voice and her distinctive singing style, it cannot be mistaken. By the way, it was a really great song too. I know for  fact that it’s not part of the lyrics in any of the songs on the soundtrack, so I thought maybe it was just a separate song played in the credits and/or on radio stations. 

My first search for it began either months or years ago after I first heard it, and in fact, the reason I started searching for it stemmed from the fact that I realized at some point that I wasn’t hearing it any longer. Being the mid-1980s, the internet wasn’t an option for me, but in later years as technology advanced, I took up the search in various other forms and forums. Originally, I was collecting my favorite music on cassette tapes song-by-song, and I wanted to add it. I have since searched for it with that phrase as the title, “fight fire with fire”, and I have searched for it on websites and search engines that specialize in partial lyrics. 

Sometimes, due to licensing, copyright, ownership, royalties, intellectual property, or other business-related issues, a song may fall out of public circulation, so it’s possible that might explain this one, but I find it incredulous that I can’t even verify it ever existed in the first place. 

Are any of you aware of the song? I’d hate to find out I’ve imagined or made up the whole thing entirely. Grrrrrrrrr. 
      ~

May 27, 2024 5:07 PM MDT

I'm sure you already know this one but the  only thing I could think of was "We Don't Need Another Hero." 

Maybe what you heard was an outtake of the recording of the song during the Ending Credits and she goofed up the lyrics.  :)

I also always sit through the entire Ending Credits. :)
    I have since I was in junior high school.
      May 27, 2024 5:35 PM MDT

No, “We Don’t Need Another Hero” is most definitely on the soundtrack.
      ~

May 28, 2024 5:58 PM MDT

Yeah, I figured.

And I never saw the movie.
      May 28, 2024 6:01 PM MDT

Deep album cut from Primitive Man, I've never been able to understand why it was never a single.

May 27, 2024 10:18 PM MDT