Discussion » Questions » Politics » How long does it take for an assassination attempt to turn into a merchandising opportunity?

How long does it take for an assassination attempt to turn into a merchandising opportunity?

Apparently, not long.  A website owned by a Donald Trump company is selling "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT High-Top" sneakers with a photo from the assassination attempt for $299.

Read in USA TODAY: https://apple.news/AS0QkrccESwOT1z5k5MhGxg

Posted - July 17

Responses

These came out immediately....and yes Democrats have and do sell NFTs. 

Just because the right is better at merchandising does not mean the left does not do the same thing. 
    This post was edited by my2cents at July 17, 2024 4:42 PM MDT
      July 17, 2024 3:02 PM MDT

These shirts are sold on Etsy, not on a website owned by Biden or by a company owned by Biden. Just to be clear.
      July 17, 2024 4:31 PM MDT

And the majority of the Rep stuff is also sold by 3rd.party vendors. 

Biden is not the only Democrat. And Democrats campaigns and PACs have and do sell NFTs to make campaign funds and Shirts etc.
      July 17, 2024 4:35 PM MDT

The sneakers that Spunky was talking about are sold by a Trump owned company. So while your statements are not wrong, it is not a response to her question. 
      July 17, 2024 4:39 PM MDT

No, they are not sold by Trump himself, the Trump Org or the campaign.  They are sold by a 3rd party vendor who pays a license. 

This post was edited by my2cents at July 18, 2024 4:32 PM MDT
      July 17, 2024 7:23 PM MDT

Funny, but not only did Trump report owning CIC Ventures LLC in his financial disclosure but if you look it up, the address is the same as the Trump International golf club in West Palm Beach. You can see how I got confused. 
      July 17, 2024 7:56 PM MDT

I did just see that.  
      July 17, 2024 8:03 PM MDT

So, you were wrong, but you can't say it outright.  Shocking. This post was edited by Spunky at July 18, 2024 6:09 AM MDT
      July 18, 2024 5:23 AM MDT

I am NOT WRONG.

CIC Ventures is 100% owned by Donald J Trump Revokable Trust.  This is the LLC that Trump uses to mange his licensing accounts. Trump is the a manager,  president,  secretary and treasurer.    This CIC is NOT the company selling the shoes....they are the company selling the license to use Trump images. 

The company making and selling the shoes is a 3rd party company. 45footwear, LLC.  It is not owned by Trump or any Trump company, trust etc.

I guess, we will wait and see if anyone says they are wrong. This post was edited by my2cents at July 18, 2024 6:01 AM MDT
      July 18, 2024 5:55 AM MDT

45footwear.LLC is a shell company, based in Wyoming. Because of WY laws its possible to set up a business that is virtually untraceable. Tens of thousands of businesses use the same address as 45footwear. Nothing shady there at all.

And since Trump receives money for the licensing agreement, how can these shoes not be affiliated with him? He is making money off them, no matter how you spin it. This post was edited by Jane S at July 18, 2024 6:36 AM MDT
      July 18, 2024 6:25 AM MDT

Two tings with which Republicans have difficulty:  nuance and facts.
      July 18, 2024 6:38 AM MDT

Personally, I have no problem with the campaign using that image to raise money. It's iconic and I would expect Biden to do the same. However, the issue is one of prioritizing people over profit (allowing the shoes to be advertised before reaching out to the other victims) and that (and I may be wrong, but have seen nothing to suggest otherwise), the profits go to Trump personally rather than the campaign. I do hope the photographer is at least getting credit, if not payment, for his work.
      July 18, 2024 7:57 AM MDT

It is a licensing agreement. It does NOT say not affiliated with Trump.   It says licensed by CIC Ventures.   It says NOT designed, manufactured,  distributed, or sold by DJT, the Trump Org or any other Trump business etc... 

Now, if you can show that Trump or one of his businesses/Trusts etc own 45footwear LLC then show it.   It is not listed on the 2023 financial disclosure form. 

So no one is claiming President Trump and co are not affiliated with the licensing deal for the sneaker company.   But nice attempt at spinning a strawman. This post was edited by my2cents at July 18, 2024 8:49 AM MDT
      July 18, 2024 8:48 AM MDT

Not sure what you're trying to argue with. Is Trump not being paid for licensing his name and image? He's doing it for free? He is profiting, which is all I said. I never said Trump owned 45footwear and I did say it was virtually impossible to know who does.  Please be clear about what you are accusing me of. 
      July 18, 2024 9:13 AM MDT

It was stated in the question and in posts under this question that Trump is selling sneakers....he is not.    Trump does not own the sneakers nor the website selling them.  

Of course, the company selling the licenses makes money and the DJT Trust as 100% owner makes some of that money. 

Above, a strawman was attempted by twisting the statement.:  "And since Trump receives money for the licensing agreement, how can these shoes not be affiliated with him? He is making money off them, no matter how you spin it."
    ...No one claimed that which makes it a strawman argument. This post was edited by my2cents at July 18, 2024 9:30 AM MDT
      July 18, 2024 9:25 AM MDT

Still don't get what you're saying, but OK then.  I'll start another discussion, where you can make your argument.
      July 18, 2024 9:29 AM MDT

There is absolutely no way that Trump would allow his likeness to be used on merchandise without some remuneration.  He does nothing for free.
      July 19, 2024 8:57 AM MDT

No one is claiming that 45footwear, LLC is not paying a licensing fee to CIC Ventures which is owned by DJT Revocable Trust.  

Not sure why yall keep claiming the licensing fee is being denied.  It is listed on the website itself.   

So again, neither Trump, his family, the Trump Org, nor the DJT Trust etc are selling, designing, distributing, or making etc sneakers/tennis shoes. 
     45footwear, LLC is selling the shoes and paying a licensing fee to CIC Ventures for the use of Trump images and logos etc. 
      July 19, 2024 9:13 AM MDT

I think everyone is saying the same thing here. It's a distinction without a difference.
      July 19, 2024 10:00 AM MDT