Active Now

Slartibartfast
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What has 2 thumbs and is really really really brave?

What has 2 thumbs and is really really really brave?

Its this guy. A couple of weeks ago I was filling out some forms and they wanted to know who my family doctor was. I never go to the doctor but I thought I better phone my wife’s old doctor to see if she registered me as a client. Turned out she had but the receptionist wasn’t sure if I was a client because I never went for the first time meeting with the doctor. But she said she would check with the doctor to see if he would take me as a client then call me back. When she called back she said the doctor would take me as a client and would like to meet me and set up some tests. I knew those tests would include a blood test but I agreed to meet the doctor anyway. I have only had needles in my arm 2X in my life – when I was a kid and my mommy made me. And the COVID shots to help protect my wife. But this time if I get a blood text needle in my arm it won’t be because I have to - it will be because I want to. And I think that is really really really brave of me. Cheers and happy weekend!

Posted - July 19

Responses

You're a big boy and I know you can handle it.  The trick is not to watch what the doctor is doing when he's ready to stick you.  Turn your head and all you will feel is a little prick and then it's over.  
      July 19, 2024 9:08 AM MDT

I thought the trick was to fess up to the nurse that I am a big baby and I have a fear of needles – that way the nurse will give me one of the real little needles (my son suggested I do that). Cheers and happy weekend!

This post was edited by Nanoose at July 20, 2024 6:14 AM MDT
      July 19, 2024 2:50 PM MDT

They generally use a small needle, so not to worry.  Ask them to give you a lollipop when you're done.  It will make you feel better. :)
      July 20, 2024 6:15 AM MDT

Just pretend you're being grazed by a bullet. You'll be asked to make a fist during the blood draw, so take advantage of it and be ready to pump it in the air afterwards. We're all proud of you!
      July 19, 2024 9:54 AM MDT

I like getting into character so maybe I will wear an extra long red tie and put on a few hundred extra pounds before the test. Cheers and happy weekend!

July 19, 2024 3:16 PM MDT

Kuddos to you, it's a big step in staying healthy. 
      July 19, 2024 1:36 PM MDT

It is a good way to staying healthy. I’m also starting to think that maybe if I brave the needle I can do some travailing – most of the countries I would like to see require shots before you can enter. Cheers and happy weekend!

July 19, 2024 3:21 PM MDT

I bet you're braver than this guy. 

July 22, 2024 2:53 PM MDT

Well we will find out soon enough. Tomorrow I meet with the doctor and he will probably want me to get a blood test as soon as possible. I’m starting to look at it like - I am at the age were I should have a good family doctor and I am lucky to have a good doctor because there is a pretty serous doctor shortage around here. Cheers!

July 22, 2024 3:33 PM MDT

So did you get your blood drawn? Was it fun?
      July 24, 2024 2:50 PM MDT

Yesterday was just the doctors visit. He just took my blood pressure (which was good) and excepted me as a new patient. He gave me papers for a blood test and a heart test. Now I just got to make an appointment at the clinic. Maybe it will be by Friday. Cheers!

July 24, 2024 3:02 PM MDT

I've had that many blood tests and vaccinations over the past decade I've more or less lost my fear of needles, but I still don't look!

I usually make a bit of a joke about it when the nurse says "Relax", asking why they always say that when about to stick something in you!

One of the tricks was by a nurse giving influenza jabs. He'd keep talking, then say "Little scratch. All done!" - but he'd already done the injection while talking so you didn't notice it. This post was edited by Durdle at July 24, 2024 3:42 PM MDT
      July 24, 2024 3:40 PM MDT