Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Would you like to share any "small world" stories?

Would you like to share any "small world" stories?

Feel free to interpret that question liberally! (Regardless of politics, for once.)

I just found out that this little Serbian village, to which I moved from my native Belgium, includes a woman who lived in Belgium and returned here with her Dutch husband. (So I'm not telling you which village, Randy.) For a place of about 320 people, in a country more than 1000 miles away and with a declining population, I can't say I was expecting to hear Dutch again!

Posted - July 25

Responses

Many moons ago the wife and I moved from Windsor Ontario to Edmonton Alberta (about 2000 miles away). The wife got a job at a small store and it turned out that one of the girls she worked with also moved from Windsor to Edmonton with her husband. Eventually my wife invited the couple over for supper. Ever thing was going well until my wife mentioned that her father was the president of the carpenter union in Windsor. Then the guy called her a liar - and said his father was the president of the carpenters union in Windsor. It started getting pretty intense so I thought I would try to calm things down and said – oh ya my mom used to F the president of the teamsters union in Windsor. But it didn’t work and they kept arguing. Eventually they figured out that they were both right – my wife's father was the president of the framers carpenters union in Windsor and the guys father was the president of the finishing carpenters union in Windsor. Cheers!

July 25, 2024 8:20 AM MDT

That's a great story--funnier still for leading to an argument. Cheers!
      July 25, 2024 12:52 PM MDT

While in the Navy in Norfolk, VA, I was chatting with a woman in the enlisted club there. After a few minutes I discovered we were both from Toledo and that she went to elementary school with my sister.
      July 25, 2024 11:24 AM MDT

I can imagine the steps of surprise as you narrowed it down. Very cool!
      July 25, 2024 12:58 PM MDT

I'll try to keep it short --

when eight years old, moved to a new town
    played outdoor games all the time with neighbor kids
    they moved away about two years later
    my family moved to another city about three years after that

decades and decades later one of those neighbor boys moved to the town I live in now

one of his daughters dances in dances I've choreographed

fun to work with the daughter of a childhood neighbor friend with whom I played Kick-the-Can and kickball and Hide and  go seek and all sorts of games
      July 26, 2024 3:38 PM MDT

Awesome! I remember finding out that one of my best friends from high school was also in my first year of kindergarten. I had moved to another city, then come back. "Daughters dances in dances" is a cool phrase, too!
      July 26, 2024 4:15 PM MDT

Yes, your story is fun, too.  :)

I hadn't noticed my phrase I used, ha! It is rather cool, you're right! :)
      July 26, 2024 5:21 PM MDT