Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Have you ever had a close call?

Have you ever had a close call?

Posted - October 13

Responses

I felt like had one just now watching that video. That was scary for me to watch and hear.
    I assume it's the truck driver screaming and yelling. Only after watching three times did I see the video headline -- the brakes failed.
    Quick, smart driver in the black vehicle behind bus, too.

Yes, I've had a close call.
    I was driving on a highway with a friend on the way to a Laurie Anderson concert.
    I was behind a car that suddenly crashed at a high speed into the median rail - - it ricocheted backwards back into a car also traveling in front of me. Once past, and in front of  both impacted-and-then-stopped vehicles, I immediately pulled safely over to the right, off the highway and my friend and I walked to both vehicles. we were the very first people to approach the accident, Everyone was okay but the cars were heavily damaged (not mine at all). We stayed until the emergency people arrived.

As I pulled over to the side of the road, and my friend was also checking the traffic in rearview mirror on his side, saying, 'Yeah, it's okay - - pull over," I remember asking my friend, "Was that my fault?"

He answered, "No."

Feeling compelled to do something, I also remember telling one of the ambulance workers, "I know First-Aid if you need any help."

Thinking the incident was somehow my fault --
    Interfering with professionals on the scene --
    I'm sometimes such an a**.  Ha.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 14, 2024 12:16 PM MDT
      October 14, 2024 12:27 AM MDT

I wondered what the driver who was stopped facing the bus was thinking. I suspect they were frozen with fear and couldn't react.

Your close call sounds scary. We're all a little discombobulated in those situations.
      October 14, 2024 9:07 AM MDT

"Yes" to everything you said.  :)
      October 14, 2024 5:34 PM MDT

Many times. So many idiots think that putting the turn signal on works like a magic broom, sweeping whatever is on their flank away so they can change lanes. The number of times I've leaned on the horn, hollering "are your eyes painted on or WHAT?"
      October 14, 2024 3:45 AM MDT

Yes.
      October 14, 2024 7:26 AM MDT

Thanks for sharing!
      October 14, 2024 9:03 AM MDT

Sure. Once I walked into a biker bar and thought it would be funny to announce that someone left their moped light on (came close to getting a beating that day).
    When I worked in the mine I had a few close calls that could of seriously injured my self and others.

One more Joke.

There were a lot of tuff guys in the mine – but when I said jump they jumped. Not because they were afraid of me but because they knew I had poor math skills and I probably made a mistake measuring out the fuses – so they better jump for cover. Cheers!

This post was edited by Nanoose at October 15, 2024 8:47 AM MDT
      October 14, 2024 8:51 AM MDT

You are quite a character!  And I mean that in a good way.
      October 14, 2024 9:04 AM MDT

A number of them...
      October 14, 2024 9:39 AM MDT

Was Hurricane Milton one of them? I was worried about you.
      October 14, 2024 10:06 AM MDT

Numerous. I got out of a bad driver situation when a woman in a van turned left in front of me while coming out of a parking lot. I would have t-boned her but I swerved just in time around her. That put me into oncoming traffic. I immediately had to speed up and swerve back into my lane. Most folks would have slammed on the brakes and would have been hit by the van. I never once touched my brakes.
      October 14, 2024 12:23 PM MDT

Sounds like you have good instincts. 
      October 14, 2024 5:36 PM MDT

Lots of experience. A teenager would have crashed. Also, at the time, lightning fast reflexes. This post was edited by Element 99 at October 15, 2024 10:13 AM MDT
      October 14, 2024 7:19 PM MDT

Two that I can think of offhand - both involving possibly drowning.  The first was when I got caught up in a rip current and didn't realize that I was supposed to go with it rather than trying to swim out of it.  Eventually, it spit me out onto the beach, but it was really scary.

The second was when one of my nieces wanted to jump off a diving board but was afraid.  I said I would tread water and catch her.  She jumped and the force drove us both under the water.  Instead of relaxing and just coming back up, she started flailing and I kept going under to keep her head above water.  Eventually, she stopped and we swam to the edge of the pool.
      October 15, 2024 8:54 AM MDT

Yikes!
      October 15, 2024 10:15 AM MDT

That's what I said!
      October 15, 2024 10:39 AM MDT