Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Did anybody cry when President Trump won?

Did anybody cry when President Trump won?

I did.

I never understood past elections when the losing side would file out of the convention center in tears. Tears!

Watching the States fall one by one, like dominoes, . . .Florida, Boom! . . .Pennsylvania,  Boom!. . .Ohio, Boom!. . .Minnesota, Boom!         Boom!         BOOM! 

Two inches from the TV my stomach contorted and I felt like throwing up, my chest filled and my nose itched. And sniffled. Then, without my approval, tears jumped out from my eyes like tiny little frogs.

What a thing folks. 

What a thing.

Note: This is not about expressing your views on how much you despise President Trump or Hillary. There are plenty many a thread for that.

Posted - November 12, 2016

Responses

No, I didn't cry.  I was surprised, I shook my head in wonder that the polls could be so wrong, I was angry that we didn't have better choices, but I didn't cry. 
      November 12, 2016 9:10 AM MST

• You're a tougher guy than I am Mr Senior. Thanks 
      November 12, 2016 9:18 AM MST

That would be "Ms." Senior. :)  Not to worry - you aren't the first to make that mistake.  It's not a question of being tougher, it's partly learning to accept things I can't change and go forward from there. 
      November 12, 2016 10:26 AM MST

• My most sincere apologies Ms Senior. I do take refuge in your assertion of me not being the first one making the mistake.  ) 
    Thank you for correcting me.
      November 12, 2016 11:13 AM MST

How gracious, Lago.

:)
      November 12, 2016 11:16 AM MST

• Thank you.  )
      November 12, 2016 11:19 AM MST

No, I was in shock! I was in denial. It lasted for 3 days. Then I was so angry, for days! Then I was sad and then I cried. 

Now I'm motivated to fight! So I signed lots of petitions. I will join protest groups. I am not going gently into the night. I may make some posters for Twitter.

I'm also going to post "degenerate art" on Twitter---art made by German artists when Hitler came into power.

Resist
    Rebel
    Refuse
    Revolt!
      November 12, 2016 9:11 AM MST

• You know Marguerite, and please don't take this in a confrontational way, because I don't mean it that way. But I think that's something we should have been doing before he won. Part  of the blame, a big one, falls on the shoulders of our own condescending and complacency. I was certainly guilty of being sure beyond any doubt, that it could never happen. Thanks Marguerite.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 12, 2016 10:29 AM MST
      November 12, 2016 9:17 AM MST

Just as long as you don't add "riot" to your list. 
    ~
      November 12, 2016 9:47 AM MST

You go gurl!...
      November 12, 2016 10:25 AM MST

Far be it for me to dissuade you from protesting, but I found that the only thing that happens when you sign those online petitions is that your spam folder increases enormously and you get all sorts of telephone calls wanting contributions, not to mention the flood of junk mail.  All the while, nothing has changed about what you're protesting. 
      November 12, 2016 10:29 AM MST

My friend usually  has a great sense of humor but she doesn't think anything is funny anymore. 

And I thought Trump was a joke.
      November 12, 2016 9:40 AM MST

• Thanks Kittigate, but this is not about insulting the President. It's about the feelings elicited by his triumph. Were you watching when it became apparent that he had won?
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 12, 2016 8:56 PM MST
      November 12, 2016 9:46 AM MST

Feelings, while being both strong and important, should take a backseat to thoughts.
    ~
      November 12, 2016 9:56 AM MST

• That's not the question Randy, also, I'm fairly sure that you have come to crossroads in your own life where you have thought differently.
      November 12, 2016 11:03 AM MST

What's not the question?  I'm only pointing out the difference between feelings and thoughts. The way one feels (emotion) should not dictate actions the same way that the way one thinks (intelligence).

i do not understand at all the point you meant about crossroads. 
    ~
      November 12, 2016 11:20 AM MST

• I meant that I'm sure that, as with everybody, there comes a time when emotions over ride any kind of intellectual considerations. Regardless of how entrenched our affinity toward the empirical may be. 
    We all make decisions in accordance to how we feel about things. Not in terms of what we think about them.  
    We trick ourselves to think we do, but not really. 
    I'm fairly certain, about that being the way it works.
    You don't think so, Randy?

November 12, 2016 11:28 AM MST

You have stated your position on feelings/emotions, and I have stated mine. To ask whether or not I think that you're correct after you've given an opposing viewpoint  brings forth a negative response from me. 

While it's true that we all make some decisions in accordance with how we feel about some things at some points in our lives, there are some truly important life-altering decisions that require us to use our intelligence instead of our hearts.  I refer more to the semantics of the phraseology than to the origin of the decision-making process: I feel vs I think.

If you see it differently, fine. I do not. It might not do either of us any good to try and sway the other any longer. 

~
      November 12, 2016 7:15 PM MST

• I understand Randy. Thanks for explaining your views to me.
      November 12, 2016 8:01 PM MST

What insult?  I don't see where any were written here. 
    _\
      November 12, 2016 9:57 AM MST

• You don't need to get upset, Randy. Or think you have to defend her. I'm not attacking her. At the same time, like I said before, this question is not about calling the the President by derogatory epithets that would turn the discussion into a fiasco. I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to say.
      November 12, 2016 11:06 AM MST

One, I'm not upset. 
    Two, I do not think I have to defend anyone at all. 
    Three, I do not think that stating your position is an attack. 

"I thought Trump was a joke" is not an insult in my opinion. If in your opinion it is an insult, fine.  Many people believe that Trump began his run for the presidency purely as a publicity stunt, and that due to his psyche and personality, could not back down once the ball started rolling. As he knocked down more and more bowling pins (other Republican hopefuls), he gathered more and more ego-feeding steam.  I believe that Trump himself was shocked that he won.  I don't think he truly wants the presidency, but he can't admit that. For all of those reasons, the surrealism of the situation is jokelike. Trump being the center of it causes some to see him as a joke.  Without taking sides on whether or not I think he's a joke, I do understand the sentiments of those who do. 

I will ask you for two things: first, please don't try to dictate what I can or cannot, should or should not post on here. If you have the freedom and the right to post what you see fit, then so do I. If I post comments in support of another person, even you, or if I post comments against another person's position, then I am participating in this website akin to its purposes. This is a public and open forum website. You and I both can contribute to any post as we see fit. If I were to support something that you write or write, I doubt you'd take offense to it. 
    Secondly, please don't assume that I understand you or your position as you stated in your final line above. To do so presupposes that I am or should be in agreement with you. As shown here, I am not completely in agreement with each and everything you have presented. 

In conclusion, you are obviously an extremely intelligent person, mature, well spoken, considerate, gracious and respectful. I consider it a true pleasure to converse with you.  I bear no ill will toward you whatsoever, and I hope you'll receive this missive in the spirit in which it is intended; one of fair play. 
    ~
      November 12, 2016 6:56 PM MST

• Of course Randy. 
    Everything is fine. 
    I want a certain kind of discussion on this thread. I want it to be a little more than people digging at each other or at anybody else. Maybe it's just part of my own closure. Who knows.
    But you are completely and fully on your right to say as you please.  This is an open forum. 
    And you are right, I can't tell you what to say or what not to. But I can ask. No?
    I don't take offense to what you said my friend. 
    I truly and sincerely wouldn't have the energy for that right now.
    Thanks RANDY.
      November 12, 2016 8:12 PM MST

I was keeping track of the election results;  WHAT!!?? Trump WON...? Wot the hell...
    Was my reaction. 
    Then later it unfolded why he won.I guess it makes sense. Hmm..
      November 12, 2016 10:18 AM MST