Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Please explain WHY working people would support someone who doesn't believe in having a minimum wage? Do they WANT to earn less? Why?

Please explain WHY working people would support someone who doesn't believe in having a minimum wage? Do they WANT to earn less? Why?

Posted - November 27, 2016

Responses

Thank you for catching the typo, Andy, I have just edited it. 

Folks who who know me here on AM should not be surprised that about 90 to 95% of what I post is in jest. Anyone who assumes that I invest even an iota of concern over Rosie and her blathering is incorrect. 
    -
      November 27, 2016 7:09 AM MST

Hello again, Randy:

Couple things..  How come you don't jestfully attack ME??  That's cause I'll attack back, and NOT jestfully..  Rosie doesn't do that..  She's an easy target..

Plus, describing her posts as BLATHER indicates that you DO care about what she posts.  You know, she's married..

excon
      November 27, 2016 7:33 AM MST

You're the one who chose the word attack. I did not say that I attack, either in jest or not. If you or anyone else believes that I attack, you are entitled to that opinion.
    Rosie herself stated that when I reply to her posts, it is an attack. I consider that to be mere whining on her part. If and when she (ok, often) posts tripe-ridden blatherings, I call her on it. Simple as that. Instead of being mature enough to admit that she can ever be wrong, she chose instead to whimper that I attack her. 
    Now, to address your inaccuracy.  You and I have had differences of opinions over a variety of topics over the years we've shared time on Q&A. We've had our back and forth more than a few times. It is incorrect to say that I don't interact with you out of a comparison between yourself and Rosie. I do not cower from you at all. You present less bile than she does, and many times you are just as jocular as I am in your writings. 
    If you choose to defend her, fine. At least be accurate, ok?  Thanks. 
    ~
      November 27, 2016 7:52 AM MST

Hello again, Randy:

K.

excon
      November 27, 2016 7:56 AM MST

Thank you, buddy. 

~
      November 27, 2016 7:56 AM MST

Well, I guessed you were joking, Randy. Lol:)
      November 27, 2016 8:57 AM MST

Lol, I sure was, Andy ol' pal.

~
      November 27, 2016 10:06 AM MST

Lol:)
      November 28, 2016 10:48 AM MST

• He's flip-flopped on this, but he does believe in it. He has said that there should be a raise in it, but the Feds shouldn't have a hand in it, that it should be up to each state to decide what their minimum wage should be. Then he said the Feds should set the pay. Either way, he does want to keep it, just having trouble making up his mind which way he wants it.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/jul/28/donald-trump/donald-trump-gets-full-flop-stance-minimum-wage/
      November 27, 2016 6:48 AM MST

I think they should all be nice to them. I always tip the McDonalds girl when I get my cup of coffee every morning. This post was edited by Mr. Bromide at November 28, 2016 3:21 AM MST
      November 27, 2016 7:06 AM MST

That's swell.
      November 27, 2016 9:51 AM MST

That is plain strange.  You are not supposed to tip counter people at McDonald's.   I don't even think they are allowed to accept gratuities.    How much do you tip? 

They are not getting a low salary.   They are getting minimum wage.  I wish I was receiving 10 bucks an hour about right now. LOL This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 27, 2016 9:54 AM MST
      November 27, 2016 9:54 AM MST

Good for you B! I worked for a couple who owned 7 McDonald's restaurants. I was the in-house accountant. Good for you! Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 28, 2016 3:22 AM MST

• In the short?
    Some don't see it as increasing the buying power in the long run.   More dollars doesn't by default increase buying power.  With more faith based currency in the public sphere, the less buying power and value each dollar has.  So many fell it is red herring and doesn't solve anything.   What's better?   Having less actual dollars that can buy a lot with each one or a lot of dollars that each buys very little?  That's the logic of the position usually.   Not commenting on the validity of one over the other, just proposing the usual thought process that leads to the conclusion.  That it doesn't deal with the stability of the dollar and doesn't help it to hold it's actual buying power.  In a nut shell the idea is that a more stable dollar value with high buying power is preferable and that increasing MWs regularly or often leads to to steady inflation and devaluing of the currency. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 27, 2016 9:55 AM MST
      November 27, 2016 8:33 AM MST

If we have a system where the employer must pay a certain salary versus not, it is thought that people will go to the employer that pays the most and ignore the competition.

We know that is nonsense.  There is a reason FOR minimum wage.  It is to protect the worker.  If it did not, there never would have been this dispute to begin with.

Employers are greedy for the most part,  and they don't pay a lot if they don't have to.  That is the truth of the matter. 
      November 27, 2016 9:57 AM MST