Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Are farmers healthier than other people because they get a lot of exercise and fresh air?

Are farmers healthier than other people because they get a lot of exercise and fresh air?

Posted - December 10, 2016

Responses

Around here, they seem to live longer than regular folk. Another point here is they seem to be more content. In the mornings they hear a rooster crow rather than the drunk neighbor guy yelling " hey! let me in bitch!" 
      December 10, 2016 4:18 PM MST

And so what if they are?

Farmers and ranchers (and their families) make up about 2% of the US population. Even if we could somehow raise the number of people experiencing the healthy farm life BY A FACTOR OF 10, that would still leave 4 out of every 5 Americans in an "unhealthy" lifestyle.

Just to reinforce the point, imagine there was some evidence millionaires are healthier than other people. The number of millionaires in the United States is roughly the same as the number of farm/ranch dwellers. Knowing either population is healthier than average  is not helpful unless we can find some way to allow more people to take advantage of those circumstances.
      December 10, 2016 4:31 PM MST

Whoa.  Confusing!
      December 10, 2016 5:01 PM MST

Yep plus they roll in the hay which can be beneficial to good health. I have a home garden and I think all the work I put into it helps to keep me physically healthy plus there's some kind of mental health in growing things. Cheers and happy weekend This post was edited by Nanoose at December 13, 2016 4:57 PM MST
      December 10, 2016 5:43 PM MST

• An outdoor lifestyle is pretty healthy so farmers, as a group, would TEND to be more healthy than, say, clerks as a group. But it's only a tendency.
      December 10, 2016 8:13 PM MST