Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » How do you know the earth is round, like a ball, and not flat, like a pancake?

How do you know the earth is round, like a ball, and not flat, like a pancake?

Posted - December 23, 2016

Responses

• People tell me it's round... they seem fairly convinced of this... I am willing to be convinced that it's flat
      December 23, 2016 10:49 AM MST

• I think that's a great answer, D. 
    I think we should always keep an open mind regardless of the topic. 
    Thanks Day.
      December 23, 2016 11:00 AM MST

I know it's flat like a pancake because once I seen Bugs Bunny explain it to Christopher Columbus. Christopher Columbus said - the World she be round like a ball or your head. Then Bugs Bunny said - no the World she be flat like pancake or your head then he pulled out a wooden mallet from behind his back and flattened Christopher Columbus head like a pancake. Cheers!
      December 23, 2016 10:52 AM MST

• THat's actually pretty funny, Thanks Nanoose.
      December 23, 2016 11:02 AM MST

i look, I listen, I read, I compare and I learn and I remember.

It's called having a human brain that can compute and decide and challenge and weigh evidence that supports the conclusion.  I know logic is a lost quality here in these United Snakes of Amerika, but I am old fashioned that way.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 23, 2016 3:13 PM MST
      December 23, 2016 10:54 AM MST

• Very cool answer :)
      December 23, 2016 10:56 AM MST

• Im not really getting how a guy spewing insults and obscenities is really debunking anything. I thought the guy was going to talk science. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 23, 2016 4:14 PM MST
      December 23, 2016 4:11 PM MST

• Golly,   I guess don't.
      December 23, 2016 11:16 AM MST

• Exactly.
      December 23, 2016 4:12 PM MST

•   December 23, 2016 11:22 AM MST

• That's funny and all, but what do you think MrWitch? 
      December 23, 2016 11:54 AM MST

• The simple answer is 'maths'.  Calculations based on the earth's curvature are made every second all round the planet.  If the earth was not round, these would all fail, resulting in lots of planes falling out of the sky having run out of fuel.

Anaxoragoras explained why eclipses look like they do in the 5th century BC and it involved both the moon and the earth being 'round'.  Eratosthenes came up with a remarkably accurate figure for the circumference of the earth a couple of centuries later (and invented modern geography in the process).

So really, it all comes down to numbers.  
      December 23, 2016 1:07 PM MST

• Yeah, yeah, yeah, but you don't perform those measurements yourself no? Aren't you just believing what you're told?
      December 23, 2016 3:59 PM MST

• I look at it this way:  the consensus is that the Earth is almost, but not quite, round.  While I haven't done the maths myself, I do know and trust people who have, and I'm happy to take my brother's word for it.  

Now, unless every person ever to pilot or navigate a craft (air or sea) is in on a secret and is saying nothing, along with NASA, every nation on earth with a military or a coastguard (ie, all of them), every person who manufacturers or provides GPS, satellite or other navigation services (which means the vast majority of media companies as well), not to mention all those who have enough motivation to actually do the maths (like my brother), I think my assumption is a safe one and one I can happily live with.  :)
      December 23, 2016 6:44 PM MST

• I understand MW, that makes perfect sense. It is mind boggling to imagine the amount of people who would have to be in on it . 
    I get what you're saying. Thanks for taking the time to write all that.
      December 23, 2016 8:22 PM MST

Jeeves said so
      December 23, 2016 12:17 PM MST

• I agree with you T, that's kind of my point. 
      December 23, 2016 4:04 PM MST

I watched Astronaut Scott Kelly's videos and photos of his Year in Space. What an adventure! I tweeted him almost everyday! 
      December 23, 2016 12:25 PM MST

• It certainly looks round in that picture. Thanks Marguerite. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 23, 2016 4:08 PM MST
      December 23, 2016 4:07 PM MST

seen it from space
      December 23, 2016 3:15 PM MST

• Well, not really really. Im pretty sure you're talking about pictures there. No?
      December 23, 2016 4:02 PM MST

I've seen really high definition pictures and could see my house from space.
      December 23, 2016 5:35 PM MST

If it's a hologram I guess it's possible for it to be flat but the hologram just repeats and loops back every 40000 km so it just makes it seem round.  

That's not my own idea.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's round because the horizon looks like it drops off in a circle.

If it were flat I should be able to see Colorado Springs, Denver, Cheyenne and Rapid City from my house because they're all higher up and at the base of mountains but I can't because they're all over the horizon.

So yeah, sorry Flat Earth peeps, I'm pretty sure it's round.

December 23, 2016 10:36 PM MST

• That's a good point about being able to see all the way past where the horizon drop off should be. But maybe you can't see them because your eyes are not powerful enough. I mean, surely, you are not saying that you should be able to see as far as you wanted regardless of your eye sight. 
    And since you bring it up, have you yourself checked it. It's fairly easy using the Pythagorean Theorem and the curvature of the planet. 
    Or are you just repeating what you've been told? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 24, 2016 11:16 AM MST
      December 24, 2016 11:14 AM MST