Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If you love God so truly and sincerely how could you kill an innocent bug?

If you love God so truly and sincerely how could you kill an innocent bug?

Posted - January 2, 2017

Responses

Hello Kittigate. Not sure what killing a bug has to do with loving God? Even in the Mosaic Law, some bugs were considered good for food.
    (Leviticus 11:21, 22) “‘Of the winged swarming creatures that move on all fours, you may eat only those that have jointed legs above their feet for leaping on the ground. 22 Of these you may eat: various kinds of migratory locusts, other edible locusts, crickets, and grasshoppers..

Is there any kind of bug that you would kill? As an evolutionist, don't you consider bugs to be a possible relative? 

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=insects%20humans%20common%20ancestor
      January 2, 2017 1:46 AM MST

I guess it would be OK to kill one of God's creatures if it was done humanely and not gassed with raid or something. Bedbugs occupying mattresses are sometimes killed very cruelly by heat treatment . Poor things.
      January 2, 2017 2:02 AM MST

Pretty sure that atheist are the only ones that use raid. (joking) I personally have never killed a bed bud. (Seriously. At least not that I know of?) lol

Did ya miss this part?: 
    Is there any kind of bug that you would kill?
    As an evolutionist, don't you consider bugs to be a possible relative? 
      January 2, 2017 2:06 AM MST

All species are relatives. 
    Is there any kind of bug I would kill? I'd have to kill 'em all in order to test market my new insect burger product.
      January 2, 2017 2:15 AM MST

Maybe you should ask a question about how many atheist kill their relatives?
      January 2, 2017 2:16 AM MST

That would be offensive.  Atheists are nice people. 
      January 2, 2017 2:22 AM MST

lol
      January 2, 2017 2:25 AM MST

• If you could get an honest answer from people to the question, 'Have you ever wanted to kill a relative?' I suspect both the religious and non-religious would have to put their hands up.  :)
      January 2, 2017 4:44 AM MST

YIKES! lol
      January 2, 2017 8:09 AM MST

• Not all of them of course!  :)

But as an aside, and because I'm feeling whimsical today, I would certainly have killed my biological father had I stayed with him.  He was busy making me into another him and sooner or later I would have been big enough or angry enough to rebel in the only way I had been taught - with violence.  Given his narcissism, psychopathy and anger, that would not have ended well, for anyone.
      January 2, 2017 8:25 AM MST

Sorry to hear you had a father like that. I suppose it's a good thing that you were able to get away. Did you have a good mother? What about a stepdad? 
      January 2, 2017 9:09 AM MST

• No need to worry about me tex. :)  But it's nice of you to be concerned.  Thank you.

My mother and one of my uncles rescued me at the age of 5 and I had a superficially wonderful childhood with her new husband (who I think of as my father because in every way that counts, he has been).  

The early years did leave a shadow however, and have certainly moulded me in some very important ways.  Trying to make a positive out of many of those has been ... tricky, to say the least.  :)
      January 2, 2017 9:14 AM MST

Glad you found some wonderful people to step in. 
      January 2, 2017 5:46 PM MST

I am glad that you had loving people to make a positive impact on you. I think it shows through the kind way you respond in some of your post especially with those that you disagree with on certain subjects.
      January 3, 2017 1:45 AM MST

• Thank you tex, that's very nice of you to say so.  :)  You'll like the explanation I have - my father is one of the gentlest men you could ever meet and has what I think of as a rock-solid, 'gentle Jesus, meek and mild' belief.  I owe him a huge amount - more than could ever be repaid in one lifetime and although I do not share his faith, I can see it's value and the benefits it brings both to him and others.
      January 3, 2017 5:07 AM MST

If YOUR bed was infested with them, YOU would be calling the exterminator. Otherwise you would never get rid of them. 
      January 3, 2017 4:57 AM MST

I lived in a building for a while that was infested with bedbugs. I would get rid of them by pouring boiling water around the edges of the mattress where they mostly hide. Not much use spending money calling an exterminator because the bugs would be crawling out of the walls to reinfest anyway. 
      January 3, 2017 5:36 AM MST

Swat them there mosquitos that dine on your blood.
      January 2, 2017 2:26 AM MST

Be nice because their buddies could come around and spread zika virus or malaria. 
    Karma y'know. 
      January 2, 2017 2:40 AM MST

If I love God, how could I kill them? The exact same way I would if I hated God:

1.  Fly swatter
    2.  Step on them
    3.  Bug spray
    4.  Ask someone for help
    5.  Call 911/report a home invasion

Not necessarily in that order. 

January 2, 2017 11:44 AM MST

Non sentient beings fulfill their destiny whether they die as food for a human, or of old age, or as prey for another animal lower on the phylogenetic scale than us.

Suffering is everywhere.  I do not think that the real role of suffering as a part of God's creation has ever been "figured out," but I assume that it too will eventually have the fullness of redemption applied to it as well.

If we deem killing necessary, then we should strive to do it "well" (to the best of our understanding) and perhaps even consider it as a regrettable necessity.

I suspect the manner and reason for which we kill may well be more important in the overall scheme of things than the actual killing, since I think all that has ever been created and seen to be good will somehow be present in eternity.

If you are going to believe in God, you might as well consider Him to be at least as good as the best person you already know.

(And I admit freely of imperfection---I have been known to fully enjoy the death of a mosquito killed immediately after having just bitten me.) This post was edited by tom jackson at January 2, 2017 2:46 PM MST
      January 2, 2017 2:00 PM MST

Jainism-

Ahimsa means to be without harm; to be utterly harmless not only to oneself and others but to all forms of life from the largest mammals to the smallest bacteria. 
    Jan's believe that life  (which equals the soul) is sacred regardless of faith, caste, race or even species. 

Jain scripture.. "do not injure, abuse or oppress, enslave or insult,  torment,  torture or kill any creature or living thing. 

Karmic consequences!  Being so mean to all the trillions of bugs and other creatures over the ages  has disturbed peace on Earth;  has caused wars, disease,  natural disasters and untold suffering...

Be nice to the bugs! 
      January 2, 2017 4:05 PM MST

The bible does not specifically preclude reincarnation, but I do think it to be unlikely.

But I definitely don't "buy" the concept of the  transmigration of souls.

And I think karma is  mother nature saying "enough of that bulls**t."

January 2, 2017 6:32 PM MST

The bible does not specifically preclude reincarnation, but I do think it to be unlikely.

But I definitely don't "buy" the concept of the  transmigration of souls.

And I think karma is  mother nature saying "enough of that bulls**t."

January 2, 2017 6:32 PM MST