Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Addiction. What can't you stay away from that is bad for you? No matter what? (tsk tsk)

Addiction. What can't you stay away from that is bad for you? No matter what? (tsk tsk)

Is it time to quit that?

Posted - July 9, 2016

Responses

People keep dying from heroin right here in my county. Everyone should know that it is bad news. How could they even think of using it?

July 9, 2016 11:38 AM MDT

Some people are in so much pain they have lost their way.  They don't even know what pain is any longer, they just live in mental agony.  Have you ever suffered from severe anxiety and it eats into your person so deeply there is never any relief and then you have RELIEF.   ?  You might do anything to keep that going.

It is called self-medication and it happens mostly to those who are totally desperate for relief on some level they cannot explain away.

July 9, 2016 11:42 AM MDT

Any time I was in major anxiety, I pulled myself out of it. Sometimes I got help from my faith. I have never used any narcotics or alcohol, but these people are killing themselves with this heroin. God or whatever you call your creator did not design us to fail. Heroin is a poison. How is it that poison is an answer to any human problem? 

July 9, 2016 11:58 AM MDT

@bhwilson -- I recently went through a bought of having to take prescription painkillers (chemically very similar to heroin).

Thanks to a random quirk of genetics and/or neurochemistry, I didn't become even slightly addicted to them (in fact, I couldn't wait to STOP taking them). Other people haven't been so lucky.

So, please, take your "I avoided it because I'm a good person and right with God"  attitude towards addiction and stuff it. There is no scientific basis for it. It's just your arrogance.

July 9, 2016 12:09 PM MDT

bw

Well, good for you.  Obviously when you get done patting yourself on the back, you might look outwardly and see what I am saying about OTHER people who may not have had your exact circumstances.

OLD SCHOOL

I wrote this at the exact same time and said the exact same thing. 

COKE time.

I still have not seen the special Coke with the 1890 or whatever it was... date on it.  I'm still looking for it. 

July 9, 2016 12:09 PM MDT

On a related (and slightly more serious) note, my sister has a friend who has a cat who is addicted to, of all things, Cheetos. My sister has described how the aforementioned cat will go into absolute fits and become a demanding feline junkie if given even one Cheeto.

Apparently, her veterinary doctor believes it has to do with how the feline metabolism processes carbohydrates (e.g. the corn meal in Cheetos). The cat owner is keeping the cat on a special low-carbohydrate diet (most pet foods contain at least some grain products) to manage Fluffy's "addiction."

July 9, 2016 12:17 PM MDT

•   July 9, 2016 12:58 PM MDT

•   July 9, 2016 12:58 PM MDT

• Carbs...carbs are my addiction...I must quit fresh baked bread...BUT it's so good!!

July 9, 2016 12:59 PM MDT

My first thought was to put the cat on some TV morning cute pet show and get a million hits. 

I am a bad mother.

BAAAD.  Friend of sister is doing the right thing, but that has to be funny to watch if you don't consider what the poor feline's insides are doing due to carb overload  to poor kitty's mind and that super intense craving kitty doesn't know how to control.

I really do empathize with kitty.  I know how it feels, but I know how to combat it. And even with the tools and the knowledge, it still is a huge OBSTACLE to hurdler once it gets a foothold.   A few days of withdrawal is not an easy deal.  

July 9, 2016 1:04 PM MDT

You must not quit.  You must find things you love to compensate that are not harmful and actually stop eating it all day and night.

Once you have your diet consisting of a LOT of different things you love, the bread does not become such a magnet for overeating something you need to control.   I was a total bread freak. Pasta freak and Potato freak.  They were my go-to foods.  But now?  I love them, but can take them or leave them.  I have a diet filled with low-calorie GOOD tasting stuff.

You can do it.    Do you like lettuce?   Use that for bread and do a wrap.  They are very tasty if you are hungry you will give it a whirl and be guilt-free too.

https://www.babble.com/best-recipes/15-ways-to-make-lettuce-wraps/

July 9, 2016 1:07 PM MDT

Nothing.  

July 9, 2016 3:55 PM MDT

probably the internet, ive had to stay away from it days ive been in school

July 9, 2016 4:17 PM MDT

My pet cat, named "Fluffy", seems to really like eating baby rabbits that he finds around the farm.

July 9, 2016 6:44 PM MDT

Actually, if you followed Fluffy carefully, you'd probably find he only eats about half of what he kills.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill

July 9, 2016 6:49 PM MDT

• TV/streaming entertainment, anger, anti-anxiety medicine, Coca-Cola, caffeine, picking scabs, sugar, pursuing worthless activities that don't advance me in life or are financially profitable, movies, uhm, what else? Other stuff or something.

July 9, 2016 6:57 PM MDT

•   July 9, 2016 6:58 PM MDT

Hey Special Ed . . .

You're the one that needs to take your ignorance and "stuff it".

There's a number of studies that show that "placebo healing", basically faith healing to people like you who don't actually have any faith in anything, actually does work. So if someone finds strength in a spiritual belief to break an addiction to a narcotic (which most rational, thinking people think is a medical problem) it should be no skin off your nose at all. Why you should find comfort in figuratively spitting in their faces makes no sense at all. Some need to validate you ignorance, perhaps?

July 9, 2016 7:32 PM MDT

Salt

What do you KNOW about healing?  Give me a break.  Don't make me laugh, okay?  Go google your medical license.  First of all, NOTHING has been said derogatorily about any healing here except for bhwilson claiming he doesn't need heroin, therefore no one should go down that path, since he understands how to avoid doing so.

SO, you go after Old School 

I don't see anything about placebos in his comment.  Nothing.  Maybe you are drinking too much vodka or something, huh?

What comes next?  My vodka usage?  My pot smoking proclivities?  You don't have a passing acquaintance with how to apply a Band-Aid. 

July 9, 2016 10:12 PM MDT

Well, here's hoping a nice coyote finds your kitty and shows him some instant Karma. 

July 9, 2016 10:17 PM MDT

I don't have scabs, the rest sounds a lot like me. 

July 9, 2016 11:15 PM MDT

I can totally relate, Pearl.

July 9, 2016 11:16 PM MDT

Thrifty, you are like the Rock of Gibraltar.  

July 9, 2016 11:17 PM MDT

That made me smile.  It isn't completely true but inner strength takes us far.

July 10, 2016 8:45 AM MDT