Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Language » When you see the ways that people write poorly, does it ever make you wonder what's being taught in schools these days, or what has been taught over the past couple of decades?

When you see the ways that people write poorly, does it ever make you wonder what's being taught in schools these days, or what has been taught over the past couple of decades?

Notwithstanding spelling, the lack of knowledge about proper punctuation, sentence structure, run-on sentences, predicates, adjectives, adverbs, nouns, pronouns, antecedents, syntax, compound words, capitalization, synonyms, antonyms, verb conjugation, abbreviations, just to name a few.

Randy D sad. Muchly sad

~

Posted - July 10, 2016

Responses

It is my trademark Mr. Tilde. I don't use it in formal writing, just here as it is how I talk. Oops...treatise.

July 11, 2016 7:36 AM MDT

Excuse me...the three dots (ellipses) are my trademark...you may not use them. LOL

July 11, 2016 7:38 AM MDT

She was well taught; probably at home.

July 11, 2016 7:40 AM MDT

No, because people write in different styles. Writing a story for a journal, a novel, or in conversation requires different styles of writing. Hopefully, people write as comfortably as they can----enough to make sense and get the message across. These days, with texting, language gets even more succinct.
      July 11, 2016 8:14 AM MDT
  • Bez

Yes, it boggles my mind.

July 11, 2016 8:15 AM MDT

• I think especially young people spend so much time online, they've just allowed themselves to "dumb down" as a sort of short-hand.  Many of us do that .. but we're also able to function in the real world in real jobs where you have to have effective written and oral communication skills.  I'm just not sure how these young kids are going to be able to make a living.

July 11, 2016 8:33 AM MDT

Yes and she goes to the best schools in the state. 

July 11, 2016 12:52 PM MDT

Unfortunately, at my workplace for instance, I see daily evidence that it's not just an online phenomenon or an off-duty phenomenon. One particular co-worker NEVER capitalizes anything. Not the first letters of the first words of sentences, not proper names, absolutely nothing. Another co-worker NEVER uses lowercase, claiming that it's too confusing to know which words should be capitalized and which should not. An assistant supervisor said it was ok for any of us to turn in any paperwork with misspelled words on it because that he/she was a terrible speller and considered it to be unimportant. An administrator uses non-words such as "brung" and atrocities such as "could of", "should half done". There's someone who overrides Spell-Check and Auto-Correct to write "supposably" and "innersmuch as". Another one tried to correct my use of "et cetera"; stating that I had made it up.

No, poor writing doesn't restrict itself to non-workplace applications. Sadly.

:|
      July 11, 2016 8:30 PM MDT

• Sounds like that assistant supervisor is a cop out artist.  Not sure how her employer would ever want her work to reflect their company standards.  

I was an Admin. Asst. for many years and my business was to make sure written and oral communications were done effectively and in a professional manner.  I totally understand your disgust with people abusing the language on and offline.

July 12, 2016 7:39 AM MDT

Eye sea, and touché.

Firmado por
    Señor Tilde
    ~
      July 13, 2016 8:57 PM MDT

Thank you.

~
      July 13, 2016 8:58 PM MDT

They are not being taught today but rather indoctrinated with extreme leftist propaganda which can include reading EPA manuals. The result is the formation of a group thought cult only Barry would be proud of. The perfect sheep thumbed down to the maximum who will form the new drone society.
      July 13, 2016 9:03 PM MDT

Thank you.

(group-thought)

~
      July 13, 2016 9:16 PM MDT