Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Like Trump, I support the right of a church to BE political.. I just don't wanna PAY for it by giving them a tax exemption.. You??

Like Trump, I support the right of a church to BE political.. I just don't wanna PAY for it by giving them a tax exemption.. You??

Posted - February 4, 2017

Responses

No, I don't wanna pay for it.  I am an avid believer in separation of church and state.  That being said, all of us have actually been paying for it for decades.  It's been an open secret that a number of churches (all religions included here) have actively supported their candidates of choice AND the IRS doesn't enforce the rule.  IMO, this is one of those things the President should have put on the back burner.  At the moment we have more important fish to fry.
      February 4, 2017 7:52 AM MST

There are two kinds of churches, one mentioned in the constitution, the other created by the Internal Revenue Code. The one created by IRC is subject to regulation by IRC. A non-incorporated church is not subject to regulation. Very few people know that.
      February 4, 2017 12:39 PM MST

He's talking about non-profits.  The non-incorporated ones don't effect our pockets, unless of course we decide to give a direct donation. This post was edited by Harry at February 4, 2017 12:56 PM MST
      February 4, 2017 12:56 PM MST

All churches are tax exempt whether they are officially 501c or a "free church". 
      February 4, 2017 2:27 PM MST

Yes.  My point was that donations made to the "free churches" aren't tax deductible (as you pointed out to excon below).  Tax deductions taken by donors for any non-profits (not just churches) indirectly effect all taxpayers.  We have to make up the loss of income through higher taxes.
      February 4, 2017 4:33 PM MST

Hello JV:

The first words in the tax code are, churches are exempt.  Curiously, in another part of the tax code, it says that in order to BE exempt, you must ASK permission from the government by filing an application for a 501c3 tax exemption..

Of course, churches DON'T have to ask, because they are AUTOMATICALLY, and UNEQUIVOCALLY exempt in the first place.  The first words say so, backed up by the 1st Amendment..  If a church DOES go for the oakee doke, and ask permission to BE a church, they DESERVE to be regulated.

In other words, JV, you're absolutely correct.

excon
      February 4, 2017 1:49 PM MST

The only reason they ask is because by becoming a 501c the donations they receive are tax deductible for the donor.
      February 4, 2017 2:29 PM MST

• Unions get tax exemptions too, and can spend any number of resources on whatever campaign they want. Not that I want my Church to start campaigning and stumping on Sundays. They can still discuss the responsibility of Christians in elections without necessarily advocating one candidate or another.
      February 4, 2017 12:52 PM MST

Exactly if they are going to penalize one nonprofit the same rule should apply to all.
      February 4, 2017 2:25 PM MST

As long as you intend to take the tax exemption from ALL nonprofits who participate in political world. 

I personally say get rid of the Johnson rule and free the churches. 
      February 4, 2017 2:23 PM MST