Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man, give him power."

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man, give him power."

This quote is attributed to Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln was prescient in that his quote applies perfectly to Trump. So far, Trump is failing badly.

Posted - February 10, 2017

Responses

Why? because he's doing  something?
      February 10, 2017 12:05 PM MST

• Well that's debatable really isn't it.. everything he has done so far has caused more division and disgust among the populace and has gained condemnation worldwide... he's scuse my language pissed off just about ever world leader and/or country.. his ideas are CLEARLY irrational and ill-founded.. I cite the court challenge today. Trumpet's lawyers weren't able to defend the indefensible.. mainly cos it was a crackpot idea that wasn't properly planned or thought through and it was illegal.. while the hideous one may well want to discriminate against muslims and immigrants, he was a big fat liar about the reason being that they pose a threat to America's security.. as they said no act of terrorism has yet occurred that has been attributed to anyone from those 7 countries he banned.. 

Lets see what his next failed dictate is shall we?  Oh yes he's done a lot.. to make himself look even more insane.
      February 10, 2017 2:02 PM MST

• The guy that attacked Ohio State was a Somali and the ones who were caught in Bowling Green Kentucky were from Iraq plotting to help terrorists in Iraq against out soldiers and are sentenced to prison. No, I did not say Bowling Green massacre so look up what I said.  I live in Kentucky so close to home. I have been there and had friends in school there and friends of my kids there now.
      February 10, 2017 2:32 PM MST

• I'll skip that for the time being but thanks anyway.. it's very sweet of you to provide info.. I am just repeating what the legal team said.. you don't mean they lied do you? Oh dear whatever next! Que sera and all that...  I dated a Somali guy once.. he was incredibly impressive and he spoke many languages.
      February 10, 2017 2:53 PM MST

So in your way of thinking, wait until you, or someone you know, is beheaded, or there is another terrorist attack, then we should do something? you wouldn't take precautionary measures? Bill Clinton. Bush,Obama, and others have said those country's  are a threat to our security but did nothing. wake up and smell the manure.
      February 11, 2017 2:22 PM MST

• wow!! I am speechles.. oh ok nah that's never gonna happen.. but I am a bit incredulous.. where on earth did all this come from? I would respectfully direct you back to my post.. no where did I say any of that you have said.. It's perhaps wise to remember I don't have anything to do with whether terrorist do or don't do whatever it is... so I would thank you to please kindly not presume to put words that I haven't said.

I am thinking here tho... perhaps you can enlighten me  and help me learn here... remember the 9/11 whatsit... so were those people who did that IN your country? Were they legals or illegals who were settled in your country and then they got a plane etc. and carried out the attacks? From your soil? Or were they people who carried out the attack from outside the US?  I am just thinking aloud here.. if people really want to blow people up they don't necessarily have to be inside the country to do it yes?
      February 11, 2017 2:34 PM MST

Sometimes you make a mess of your kitchen while cleaning it. But in the end, your kitchen will be better off. 
      February 12, 2017 7:31 AM MST

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." ~John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Arrogance, ignorance, and incompetence. Not a pretty cocktail of personality traits in the best of situations. No sirree. Not a pretty cocktail in an office-mate and not a pretty cocktail in a head of state. In fact, in a leader, it's a lethal cocktail.~Graydon Carter
      February 10, 2017 12:31 PM MST

Trump is doing what more than half the country elected him to do.  
    Make America Great Again.  
    Who knew there were so many anti-americans in this country fighting him every step of the way. 
      February 10, 2017 12:36 PM MST

" This post was edited by Louie at February 10, 2017 1:27 PM MST
      February 10, 2017 1:26 PM MST

• LOL come come now.. is that not a far stretch of the truth to say he was elected by over half the country? We know I am no expert but facts is facts and a) it was a very poor turn out so I hear, so that fact alone makes it impossible for over half to have voted for him.. I think the fig was 58% in total turnout.. and we KNOW that over half of that 58% did NOT vote for the hideous one.. so respectfully I would have to highlight that that statement would seem to be incorrect.. 

I'd have to disagree on the sentiment that those who disagree with the insane one... there are many, worldwide AND in the states who would argue that to support a man who is clearly insane and intent on a) dividing the country and b) making a laughing stock of the country with clearly nutso policies which when challenged prove to be illegal and ill-founded.. I'd say anyone who supports him is anti american.. America is a country the rest of the world should be able to look up to as a shining example.. right now America is looking very bad and is in real danger of becoming further alienated with a leader the world thinks has narcissistic personality disorder and who is thoroughly vile and without class.
      February 10, 2017 2:13 PM MST

Very well said. Morningstar, like all Trumpites, only deals in alternative facts. I.e., LIES.
      February 10, 2017 3:42 PM MST

Remember this, all you Trump haters ---------- The entire southern United States hated Abe Lincoln. 
      February 10, 2017 12:56 PM MST

And look what happened to THEM !!
      February 10, 2017 1:18 PM MST

The quote is, "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    This quote is attributed to several people who probably didn't use those exact words, even Lincoln. Others are Thomas Carlyle, 1841. Robert G. Ingersoll, 1883. Horacio Alger, Jr., 1883. Or may be apocryphal. 

Several writers did believe Lincoln showed great character, by not abusing presidential power. Trump has barely started his term as president, therefore, I think it's too early to be making judgements, as how he will act as president. Give him time. 
      February 10, 2017 2:10 PM MST

• Give him time? That's what scares me.. given the damage he has already done to the country and it's reputation.... and he's barely gotten started yet :(
      February 10, 2017 2:15 PM MST

All the countries that have taken advantage of the U.S. and taken our money have been put on notice, no more of their shenanigans will be accepted. 
      February 10, 2017 5:37 PM MST

No US president, in the 220 year history of the country, has ever done so badly in so short a time period - we're talking about DAYS !! Unbelievable.
      February 10, 2017 3:45 PM MST

• I can think of a few people I'd like to give the power...
    and, like Koko (Lord High Executioner in The Mikado) I have a list.

February 10, 2017 3:52 PM MST

OMG that is so sick.  hahaha 
      February 10, 2017 3:57 PM MST

• I love it!
      February 10, 2017 7:29 PM MST

Sure. Just as long as that man isn't a real estate developer.
      February 10, 2017 4:05 PM MST

thats true
      February 11, 2017 9:44 PM MST