Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do you have a cure for insomnia?

Do you have a cure for insomnia?

Teens like to stay in bed all morning. Old people like to get up so they don't have to try to sleep any longer. Would it be possible to transfuse teen blood into old people to help them sleep? Would there be any side effects, like behavioural problems?

Posted - February 10, 2017

Responses

Side effects of teen blood in old people
    Acne
    eye rolling
    overreaction to everything
    bored with everything
    hate everything
    stinky feet
    regrowth of hair (makes the other stuff worth dealing with)

Cure for insomnia:

In case the link doesn't work
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waf2w7bB0dE&t=49s

February 10, 2017 5:17 PM MST

• That was low, Harry. Low! I watched the video and was left with this almost uncontrollable urge to email you my bank account number and password. Loved your regrowth of hair. Very clever answer. :)
      February 10, 2017 5:25 PM MST

Death? I mean that's what I hope for.
      February 10, 2017 5:19 PM MST

• Ah, well the good news is that we're all going to achieve that. Sooner or later. I hope yours is very much later.
      February 10, 2017 5:25 PM MST

• Yeah ! I just smoke some pot in the evenings and I sleep fine. At least six hours unless I'm working.
      February 10, 2017 5:56 PM MST

Although I haven't smoked in decades, that is the best organic way to get a good night's sleep.  
      February 10, 2017 5:58 PM MST

• It works!
      February 10, 2017 6:01 PM MST

• Definitely a medicinal usage :D
      February 10, 2017 6:05 PM MST

I found the best thing for a good nights sleep is a day full of spent energy. Things like a day of hiking or yard work usually leaves me so worn out I hit the pillow and am out and stay out. Of course the next day I might need some aspirin.
      February 10, 2017 6:56 PM MST

•           "I've tried it, but I'm not sure if it works, because I keep falling asleep." :)
      February 10, 2017 7:55 PM MST

• Maybe I'm silly but I'll give that a try. Can't do any harm. Thanks. :)
      February 10, 2017 8:00 PM MST

• I'm sure the idea is ... if you concentrate completely on your breathing and the count, you eliminate, from your thoughts, what was keeping you up.
      February 10, 2017 8:03 PM MST

• If you have chronic insomnia go to a Sleep Disorder doctor they can help you.  If you can take antihistamine that helps, that's what is usually in the over the counter sleep medicine sold in drugstores.
      February 10, 2017 9:15 PM MST

Yes, it's my daily schedule!  I live on a farm and have a full time job so insomnia never happens to me!
      February 10, 2017 9:57 PM MST

Didge, all joking aside, I think the reason you're having problems sleeping is due to the heat and not being able to be active enough during the daytime.  I have no problems now when the weather is cold, but during the middle of the summer, I can never sleep properly.  So, I'm tired during the day and have no energy to do anything. 

Someone above mentioned an antihistamine.  That does work.  When I take two Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg), I usually sleep even during harsh heat.  If you use that in conjunction with Alf's suggestion, you should get a decent night's sleep.
      February 11, 2017 10:09 AM MST

• Thanks, Harry. Good to get confirmation. And, yes, it is harder to sleep in the summer than the winter. Last night was a case in point (we reached a district record yesterday: 46C/115F) but I managed just on six hours. I actually got off using Alf's technique. :)
      February 11, 2017 11:20 AM MST

I don't think I could stand that kind of heat.  I'm glad you were able to use Alf's technique to fall asleep.  It's better to go the non-drug route if you can.  My problem is not falling asleep but staying asleep.  So it's great you were able to get 6 hours.  That's a darn good nights sleep in my book.

FYI, since I know you like to learn new things, "got off" is an expression in the U.S. that has a sexual connotation to it.  LOL.
      February 11, 2017 11:42 AM MST

• No, I didn't get off that way. :D

Richard Ianelli in his Devil's New Dictionary defined "negligee" as a garment that a woman puts on so that she can take it off so that she can get it on. 
      February 11, 2017 11:47 AM MST

wish i did, i take benadryl at night for allergies and i take melatonin, ive been taking magnesium and i heard that can help you sleep
      February 11, 2017 9:38 PM MST