Discussion » Questions » Relationships » What is main reason an older man would call a younger woman, 'dear'?

What is main reason an older man would call a younger woman, 'dear'?

Was chatting once with an older man, maybe 62 or so, and I found him attractive. I am in my 30's, and we had a nice conversation... as he left, he said, 'It was nice talking ...have a great day , dear'.... It kind of turned me off a bit, b/c I felt either A. it was devoid of emotion, or B. he considered me akin to a daughter.. I also feel I'm overthinking it but I just was curious what a man might mean by that word ?

Posted - February 21, 2017

Responses

Being inquisitive, curious, introspective, analytical, etc are all great qualities to have, but I think that with some things, you may be looking a little too deeply than is necessary or good.

Sometimes, saying "dear" just means "dear".

~
      February 21, 2017 11:03 PM MST

Dear....oh I use it whenever I feel close to someone....why would age matter....umm at least not to me;))
      February 21, 2017 11:10 PM MST

• It's not a word I use. It's old-fashioned and devoid of emotion. But it was probably well-intentioned.
      February 21, 2017 11:30 PM MST

• A handy appellation when they don't know your name?
    I wouldn't read too much into it ... it's from his time... not yours :)
      February 21, 2017 11:49 PM MST

• Hi Baybreeze,

Two ideas come to mind, me being closer to his generation...

1. Sometimes I focus deeply on the conversation with someone I just met, so at the end don't even recall their name...if that happened with him, then "Dear" is just his way of saying that he appreciates you.

2. You might be attractive to him also, and 'Dear' is his way of parting on a more intimate note, to-be-continued.

I would suggest you view his comment in the more positive ways, if he means them otherwise you will soon know - but without more evidence be open to the potential warmth and closeness.
      February 22, 2017 12:48 AM MST

• You say you felt attracted to him, and perhaps he sensed that. Maybe he used "dear" as a test word to convey the closeness he felt and see if you might reciprocate likewise. 
      February 22, 2017 1:03 AM MST

A wise summation. Hey, wait . . .

~
      February 22, 2017 5:47 AM MST

• "Hey wait" is an easy giveaway. 
      February 22, 2017 6:17 AM MST

he probably likes you
      February 22, 2017 9:50 AM MST